Carrier Move active ATT sim from one iPad to another.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Can I remove the Active SIM card from my rMini to my Air or should I use the utility to move service to the Air.

My ATT data service was originally on the Air but I changed service to the rMini. I would like to move it back and not sure if the old SIM in the Air is still good or now dead. If so can I just pull the SIM out of the rMini and insert it in the Air with out any problems.

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Can I remove the Active SIM card from my rMini to my Air or should I use the utility to move service to the Air.

My ATT data service was originally on the Air but I changed service to the rMini. I would like to move it back and not sure if the old SIM in the Air is still good or now dead. If so can I just pull the SIM out of the rMini and insert it in the Air with out any problems.

It should work fine. I switched mine from an iPad 4th generation to an Air and now an rMini.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I found out that you do not need to switch SIM cards. In the past I thought when you deactivated a SIM card it had to be replaced due to ATT deactivating it.

All you have to do is use the ATT utility and move service to another iPad. You can do it over and over again I can have it on either my Air or rMini in just a minute or two.

LTE is FAST!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Simply go to the AT&T website and change your IMEI number for your iPad. I have the Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan that I moved from my Original iPad to an iPad 3rd Generation and now onto a 4th Generation. All seamless transfers in just minutes.

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
I just switched to the new shared ATT plan, and I was able to switch my SIM card between two iPads with absolutely no problems.