move AEBS config from previous generation to current generation?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fhall1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I have a 5th gen airport extreme and now that my wife has a new MacBook Air with wireless "ac" capability I was thinking of moving to the latest generation airport extreme.

What I was wondering is if I can take a backup of the config of my current AEBS, shut it down and install the newer model, then import the backed up config file to the new AEBS model - or do I have to start from scratch to restore all my port forwards, etc.?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

When I went from an AEBS to TC recently, it brought in all my settings, didn't have to set anything... although I didn't have port forwarding set up.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I went through exactly this from the last gen Time Capsule to the new tower AC version and everything imported just fine. I had some port forwards and my Xbox in the DMZ and everything worked fine. I would expect the same for your Extreme move.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can actually remove your old base station (aka unplug it) and plug everything into the new one. Start up the new one and it will flash the status indicator since it has no settings. Then simply plug the old one into just power and you will be able to "replace a device" which will transfer everything on its own!

5. fhall1 thread starter macrumors 68040

fhall1

I assume I need my Mac to be running Airport Utility plugged into the new device to get the prompt to "replace device" - then it must pull the config from the old device via wireless? If so, that's very cool and easy.