Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
I have a 3 year old iMac that is running 10.6.8 (it has to for 3 programs that will not run 10.7 or newer). I have a second Mac that is new and running 10.9.2 and I have decided to make that my primary computer and the older Mac my secondary. With that said, what is the best way to move my mail over? I have searched and come up with several options. I need to be able to make sure I copy it 100% as it sits so I have all my preferences, rules, signatures, and more importantly, all the emails stored locally in mail folders.

I assume there is a way to copy it over so I can verify first before I shut it down on the older computer?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
If IMAP, simply add the account and let the mail download.

If POP and/or any message stored under "On My Mac" you can import the data into Mavericks Mail.

Drag the Mail folder from the old computer to the Desktop on Mavericks.
In Mail under File select Import Mailboxes... Import data from Apple Mail
Navigate to the folder on your desktop. Inside you'll find a folder named Mailboxes. Select Mailboxes folder. Mail will import all data under an Import folder. You can move folders as desired.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The need to access your email folders on multiple devices is why you definitely want IMAP as the protocol between your device's email client (Mail) and the mail server on your ISP, home page...etc. If you do have you own webpage you should have the freedom to use IMAP instead of POP3, and to store years worth of email folders.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Thanks for the replies. I have all my accounts setup as IMAP so it was easy to set that part up on the laptop. The part I don't have figured out is how to move (or better yet, copy) all my local folders and contents to the laptop. I do not use IMAP based folders as I'd prefer to have those emails locally stored. IMAP folders would make sense for each email provider but I have emails stored locally from past email accounts that wouldn't still be accessible via IMAP folders.

Thanks again for any help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.