move all user apps into one folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sclusiv, May 10, 2007.

1. sclusiv macrumors newbie

I am thinking of moving all my own apps into a separate folder ... ie myAPPS in the root apps folder ... i dont want to the user apps folder (if there is such a folder) ... cause my wife uses the powerbook too and we share the apps like firefox and adium etc .

Is there any problem in doing so ???

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why would you need to move your applications out of /Applications? :confused:

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

He just said he's thinking of moving apps only he uses out of his /Applications and into his ~/Applications so they're not accessible to other accounts. Which, if you're sharing your Mac with other people and the apps you use could do damage, isn't that bad an idea. :p

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If they have administrator rights then it's pointless. Maybe if it was with standard users I could see a reason.

5. sclusiv thread starter macrumors newbie

i want to move all the normal useage apps like firefox, adium etc into a folder called myAPPS in the /applications folder ...

just to keep track of what i have there ... right now i have 90 items in my apps folder and it kinda becomes hard tracking them ...

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Or it could just be to reduce clutter, so his wife doesn't have to wade through a lot of crap she doesn't use to get to what she does.

In any event, questioning the OP's motive isn't particularly helpful in this case. :rolleyes: What he wants to do is perfectly fine and shouldn't have any ill-effects (unless the apps in question are really badly coded). All the preferences for them are stored in the user's Library anyway, so it doesn't matter where the app itself is.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Dock
    2. Spotlight
    3. Quicksilver
    4. Ye ol' alias
    5. Sorting the /Applications folder

There are a few applications that act up if they're not in /Applications. Updating Apple software for one.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Wait, that doesn't make much sense. Why not leave those common apps where they are, and move specific apps that might not be needed by your wife to the Applications folder in your user folder?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you create an apps folder in a new location, you really must enable ACL, set up appropriate ACLs for it that are hierarchically implemented. If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, you don't want to do this.

The other thing you should know is that, if you do this, and you move any application that uses automated updating features, you can expect problems.

The "system" way of doing it is:

Applications you all use go in the Applications at the root of your hard disk and are accessible by all admins, all standard users, and any managed users to whom you've given access to them.

Applications only you use go in the Applications folder inside your home folder and are only accessible to you.

That should basically handle any needs. If you need to limit a user with respect to apps that are in the /applications directory, for some reason, then you can do so by changing their account privileges in system preferences -> accounts.

EDIT: If this is just about clutter, I'd really just recommend making sure all the apps you use frequently are in the Dock. Then you can either go hunting or spotlight for the apps you use infrequently, and it won't be so bad.

10. sclusiv thread starter macrumors newbie

oh my motives are quick well hidden/ umm placed under a 'show package contents' folder ... :) ... i took the advice of another member ...

but thanks killmoms ... its just i hate clutter and want to sort out my apps into proper folders ... stupid windows habbit

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If the program is the drag-to-install type, you can do whatever you like (it can be nice to use subfolders under Applications to keep the clutter down a bit).

If the program used an installer, it's generally a good idea to leave it alone, because updates may break depending on how the app was written. Some installers do let you pick a custom folder though, and those shouldn't have issues.

It's a good idea to leave apps that came with OS X right where Apple put them.

Once in a while, an app will turn up that has a bit of slop in it, that won't run if it's moved out of the Applications folder. There's not much to be done about these cases than move them back and complain to the author.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Eh, this advice works.

Tis a silly thing still.

13. sclusiv thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that iMeowBot

14. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

FruitMenu

If it's about clutter, you might try something like FruitMenu. Your apps reside where they're happy, but for your purposes in the Apple Menu, they can be organized any way that makes you happy.

Just another thought.

:)