Move Applications Folder out of Trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Itsamna, May 18, 2008.

1. Itsamna macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm an idiot. Even though it asked for a password to move my wife's Applications folder into trash we didn't notice that we weren't moving an unnecessary file but the whole applications folder. We didn't even notice when the file we were trying to trash didn't go anywhere the first time. We finally figured it out when she tried to start up Safari and got the message

"You cannot open the application "Safari" because it is in the Trash."

So I found the Applications folder in the Trash and dragged and dropped it back into the main folder in Finder but it still gives the same message. I see that it is still in the Trash folder as well. I am reluctant to clean out the Trash folder until I'm sure I won't lose everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You need to place it in the "Macintosh HD" folder. And please don't create multiple posts on the same subject in different forums.

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

While I am not in your dire situation, I have at times done something just as silly and I wonder the same thing ... how do you rescue anything in the trash folder?

4. Itsamna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Flopticalcube! That worked exactly right.

Sorry about the double post. I'm new to the site and as I was reviewing the layout of the forums I though I may have posted it in the wrong place. I'll do better in future.

Thanks again.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You're welcome. Just use the little red triangle on the left to report your post to a moderator and ask to have it moved.