Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
So I just got an iPhone 4 today (woot) and restored my 3Gs' data onto it. The problem is that I didn't backup and sync the 3Gs when I had that cool tethering app Handy Light. Is there any way I can move this app from my 3Gs to my 4 so I can continue to use the tethering?

Thanks!

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
no idea?? man the app gets pulled the day i get my 4, what a time to do that ugh..

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I did do that. Well since I got my iPhone 4 activated, I can't use my old SIM but luckily I bought a micro sim adapter and put my SIM into the adapter and into the 3Gs. I tried syncing but it said there was a problem verifying my phone??

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
no idea??? i tried using iphone explorer and that didn't work either..

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
you can't just hook up your 3gs to the computer, click sync...and it should transfer your purchases into your itunes accnt...if it doesn't click transfer purchases from the drop down menu. then, connect your iP4 and add the application to your new device...its actually a no-brainer.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
i tried that but theres no way itlll read it. When I put my micro sim into the adapter and into my 3Gs it still won't work for some reason. My 3Gs shows in itunes, says it fails to verify and then the 3Gs disappears from the screen. Before that, when its plugged in it shows 6 GB of Misc space taken up, which is actually my music files.

Demarrer

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
i tried that but theres no way itlll read it. When I put my micro sim into the adapter and into my 3Gs it still won't work for some reason. My 3Gs shows in itunes, says it fails to verify and then the 3Gs disappears from the screen. Before that, when its plugged in it shows 6 GB of Misc space taken up, which is actually my music files.

You don't need a sim card at all for this. You plug in your 3GS and sync it. It will take the new apps from that one and store them on iTunes. Then connect IP4 and put new apps on. That is all you have to do.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
moving this app to my itunes is preventing me from wiping out my 3Gs and selling it. I really need this app moved!

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I can't see the message since Photobucket is blocked at work, but you're making a very easy process extremely difficult.

Put your inactive SIM from your 3GS back into the phone. Plug the phone into the computer. When it shows up in iTunes, click Transfer Purchases. When it's done, unplug it.

Plug in your new iPhone 4, put a checkmark next to the app under the Apps tab, and then Sync.

Not a whole lot to it.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
ok no need to be smug about it. did it occur to you that I have already tried the processes? When I put it in, iTunes looks like its working, and two outcomes occur. Either it gets verified and then it tries to do a backup, a quarter through it, freezes and the iPhone is ejected. The other scenario is that it just stops are verifying and the iPhone disappears and a message shows up saying it can't read it and that it should be restored.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
ok I finally solved it, I'm going to post what I did in case someone later forgot to backup their iPhone and had an important or deleted from App Store app on it.

You just need to go to settings -->General-->Reset-->Reset All Settings. After I did this iTunes recognized my 3Gs no problem and synced Handy Light to my apps and I was able to put it on my iPhone 4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.