Move AW to New iPhone NOT Restored

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SaddleSC, Sep 20, 2016.

1. SaddleSC macrumors member

I have researched the process of moving an Apple Watch to a new iPhone (and preserving your workout data) and it seems the only way to do this is to backup the old iPhone, unpair the watch, then Restore the new iPhone from the backup when you set it up initially.

My question is this...I like to set up all new iPhones from scratch (rather than restoring from a previous backup). If I am not restoring from a backup when setting up the new iPhone, is it not possible to move just the watch data to the new phone?

If not, I am fine with it, but I just wanted to ask before I wipe out my watch data for no reason:)
    Thanks

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yeah, this is a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot. Officially, you lose all Activity, Watch, and Health data when you setup a phone new. There are some third party apps that can extract Health data from a backup and load that into a new phone setup. I am not aware of any apps that can do this for Activity and Watch data. So, you may be screwed.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You must restore since Health & Fitness data is integrated into the backup. Also if using iTunes you must encrypt.

4. SaddleSC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...that is what I figured, but I am glad I asked...now I know for sure:)