Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
I have a Boot Camp partition on the hard drive of my iMac 2011 on the original 1TB hard drive. I had a 500GB SSD installed and my Mac OS was moved to the SSD. The boot camp Windows was not moved. To complicate matters, I also use Parallels Desktop 11. I want to move the Bott Camp partition to the SSD to speed up the boot time. Is this possible?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can use winclone to backup your windows partition and then restore it to the new SSD. Be sure to follow their steps, as you'll need to run sysprep in windows before running the backup (which is a OS X app).

bubsdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
So, step by step - Should I use Disk Utility to create a new partition on the SSD? If I do that, it won't harm my current El Capitan system partition, right? Then WinClone the Windows 10 - while in Windows 10 - to the new partition? After that, how do I set it up so that the Mac OS knows where the new bootable Windows 10 is? And will Parallels just find it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.