Move Content to New MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by navatwal, Jan 21, 2017.

1. navatwal macrumors newbie

I have purchased a new Touchpad MB Pro....I have an existing 2013 MBPRo Retina from which i would like to move content.

Which is the best way to do this.. Wifi? time machine?

If i move over applications will licensing information be moved over and can I be selective with what to copy over?

This is my 5th MAC and i always migrate data but thinking if a clean / manual migration will be best option

2. matram macrumors member

I prefer to manually copy over. Gives me the option to clean-up a bit and not copy over everything.

I used airdrop from the old to the new machine.

Apps are a bit more complicated:
    1. If you bought from the App Store, re-download from the store
    2. For Adobe CC, Office 365 - log out from the old computer, re download and login on the new computer
    3. Other apps you can copy over, but that will loose the license information so you need to go back to your old mails to get the license information and re-register the app
    Do not forget to set up backup from the new machine.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like you have a Time Machine backup to a local USB disk? That will be the easiest. Just get an adaptor to use the USB drive over USB-C on the new machine (I'm using these)... you will want this anyway to continue backups on the new machine. When you start the new machine you will be asked if you want to import data. Say yes then follow the prompts and point to the USB Time Machine drive as the source of the import. That will bring in your account, apps and all data. Make sure you do this when prompted during the initial setup and not afterward.

You can select within certain categories what to move over, but it is either all or nothing with apps. Some apps, like MS Office and Adobe specifically, will see they are in new hardware and require you to reenter the registration information.

If everything is working fine on the 2013, everything will likely migrate in just fine.

4. ipponrg macrumors member

It takes forever to do a time machine restore, but maybe I'm a little impatient. When transferring from my 2011 to 2016, I threw all my files into a folder on my 2011 and airdropped them onto my 2016. I re-downloaded all the apps that I needed on my 2016.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to clarify, I am talking about a migration and not a restore, which is completely different.

6. FoolsWisdom macrumors newbie

The toughest part for me is Outlook. Anyone know the best specific steps to take to archive all email and migrate over to the new machine? I have to be completely confident I won't lose my emails.

I move everything via Migration Assistant, and Spotlight indexing did not work so I can't search in Outlook. I would start over with a clean install etc. and move my files etc. manually from a backup - but I don't understand the process for archiving Outlook.