Move emails from apple mail to windows outlook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteNash, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteNash macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I have recently bought a windows laptop as majority companions in my office have windows only. I also have mac book pro having apple mail as my e-mail client. I work in a small company in which e-mail is the life blood of our company. So now what I need to do is move all my emails from apple mail to outlook that is present in windows laptop. I haven't found any answers or discussions regarding this topic on this forum site. Can any one please help me get over with this problem or at least guide me or direct me to the forum where solution for this query is posted.

Your help will be really appreciated. Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A quick and easy way to do this is with a GMail IMAP account. Just setup the GMail account on the Mac and in Outlook on Windows. Then in Mail (Mac) drag the messages from your account to the GMail IMAP folders (make as many as you need). Now in Outlook drag the messages from the GMail IMAP account into the Outlook folders you want.

3. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

well i tried this method. But it seems that i have to upload each email regardless of its folder and then again download it. I have around 4000 mails and if i start transferring this way then it will take a lot of time. I am looking for a method that can solve my problem quickly plus retain my folder hierarchy.

I hope i have made myself clear to you. Thanks

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yikes... yeah that would be a hassle with 4k messages.

You can export each mailbox on the Mac side, but I have read from others that it ends up in a format Outlook cannot read. I do recall a post here about a third party tool that converted the exported Mac mail export.

Edit: Here is the thread I was recalling. The app is EMailchemy.

5. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked the third party tool you mentioned. But it can't do the type of transfer i am looking for. This tool does not convert to .pst files, although it can read .pst files. Its written in its features. I am stuck.....don't know what to do....!!!!!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I remember from the last discussion that tool will convert the Mac mbox formatted file and convert it to a mbox format that Outlook can then import.

7. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as i know windows outlook imports .pst files not .mbox. And i can't trust this tool as the type of transfer i am trying to do is not mentioned in its features.

Sorry don't want to oppose you but i said what i felt. Thanks

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Outlook does import mbox files, just not the version that Apple Mail exports.

So you use Emailchemy to convert from Apple Mail to a standard MBOX format (see here).

Then import the converted MBOX file into Outlook. See the bottom of this MS support page.

[​IMG]

Or, (from page 45 of the Emailchemy manual) you can convert from Apple Mail to an Entourage RGE archive, then import that to Outlook.

If you search the Apple Support forums you will find many users who have done this using Emailchemy.

If you don't want to use GMail IMAP like we discussed, I don't think you are going to find any other free way to do this.

9. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the trial version of emailchemy but the results are the same. It does not import my mails to ms outlook.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you follow the instructions on page 45 on the manual I linked? It seems pretty straightforward.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What type of email account are you using? You don't have to go through all this if it's an account where the client syncs with the server (e.g. not POP).

12. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i have repeatedly performed every step on page 45.....still not able to transfer the emails. After performing the steps only a blank folder is transferred.

13. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

I am still stuck in this problem guys. Not found any solution yet.
    Tried to transfer through imap but outlook won't import through imap.

Isn't there any solution available..??

14. MJL macrumors 6502a

Did you check if the trial version will actually transfer the files? Normally this is a once only function and most programs will try to persuade you into buying and disable the actual transfer of files (sometimes they'll allow you to do partial functionality as a sample).

15. SteNash thread starter macrumors newbie

Found my solution here

Well having no offence to the forum rules, I found my solution in an application named Mail Passport Pro. I easily migrated all my emails from Apple mail to Windows outlook with easy steps provided by this application.

I found this tool here : http://applemailtopst.com/

I hope this will be a huge help to the other people who are looking to import/migrate/transfer their emails from apple mail to Windows outlook.

Thank you

16. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Well that's one piece of software I definately *won't* be using, relying on spam to publicise itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.