Move existing install to new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scepternetworks, Dec 23, 2015.

1. scepternetworks macrumors newbie

Okay, so here's the question:

I've got a mid 2010 21.5" with a dead graphics card and no install on the hard drive. I'd like to simply put in a cheap ati MXM card from a PC laptop into this beast (it was a 4670 iirc) but I know I'm not going to get the apple screen due to no EFI on that card but we are comparing $90 to $320 Canadian so for the extra $210 I can live without the apple on boot.

Except, of course, i won't be able to install a fresh O/S due to the lack of apple screen.

a) My question: would I be able to transplant a cloned install from any other mac running, say, El Capitan given that I've placed in any kext I may need for this new graphics card before cloning? I have easy access to a 2009 imac to create the image from but it's not identical obviously being a year older than mine.

b) In your opinion, if this works, will I need to do the same cloning operation when the next version of osx comes out or would the upgrade be pretty seemless and not need the apple screen?

In other words, how much of a pain in the a** will this be in the next two years?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not up on the the latest Hackintosh procedures, but in general... yes you can take a El Capitan install from one Mac and just swap or clone the drive over and pop it right in another Mac.

Where you would have troubles would be if you had say a Mavericks install and you wanted to swap that drive over to a 2015 5k iMac. That would not work since Mavericks does not have the needed drivers. But with El Capitan you will be okay.

3. scepternetworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that's cool. We do it with linux all the time as well. I assumed osx was smart enough for this.