Move files from an external hard drive to a time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HipHopTrex, Aug 24, 2012.

1. HipHopTrex, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

HipHopTrex macrumors member

Hello,

I just recently purchased a time capsule, mainly because my 500 gb hard drive was filling up, and I wanted to sell my old hard drive. I already have my internal drive backed up to time machine, and now all that's left is the external hard drive. Do I just need too drag and drop the files from my ex hd, to my desktop and then make another backup with time machine?

I'm using mountain lion as well, if that changes anything.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Do you mean a Time Capsule? Time Capsule is an external drive, Time Machine is the software that does the backup.

Anyway, you can tell Time Machine to backup your external drive, so there is no need to drag and drop if you want to keep the external drive.

3. HipHopTrex thread starter macrumors member

Oops, little too much Doctor Who lately.

Well, I tried that earlier today after bumping my thread(my bad moderators didn't know that was a no-no but thanks for the heads up) And I cannot seem to get it to perform a backup. It says it's found it, is starting the back up in 120 seconds. and then around the time it gets to 20-30, it seems to just stop. My Macbook is still reading it, because the light doesn't shut off, and the icon for the ex hd is displayed. It started once, but then quit after the first 100mb. I haven't gotten it to work since then.

I used whatever format the one for Windows/Mac is. I forgot the name. Then tried the mac os x extended journal and still nothing. If I have to move it from my ex hd, then to my desktop it's not a huge deal. I'd just prefer to not have to mess with it since it holds 400 gb and my macbook holds 120, but has 60 or so full. That's a lot of deleting and then checking up on it, and well I'm a little lazy. Plus that's slightly time consuming.

4. HipHopTrex thread starter macrumors member

After a few days of messing with it, all I can do now is drag and drop each file one at a time and it sometimes works, otherwise my time machine seems to be going offline when I try more, it just completely disappears from the network, but keeps the wireless network up. I've decided to just take it to the apple store at this point and see if there's something wrong with it.

Or use one of my smaller harddrives change the format on it, and then use it that way and see if it's the EX-HD. If anyone else has any advice, or reads this in the future. I hope I may have somewhat helped you. ;)