Move files from MacOS to WindowsXP, same machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thejms, Jan 16, 2010.

1. thejms macrumors newbie

I am trying to transfer files from OS X to Windows XP.

I installed windows xp with boot camp assistant. I got everything all installed with out any problesm. I can see all my windows files from my mac os but I can not move files from my mac os to windows. I am able to move from windows to the mac os.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

NTFS-3G will give you writing for NTFS formatted volumes, such as your Windows partition might be formatted in.

3. thejms thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that a program or something?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What format did you use for the XP Partition? If it was not FAT32 you need to install some software to allow Mac OS to write to NTFS formatted partitions. As you noticed, it can read NTFS without any issue.

And yes NTFS-3G is a program. Here is one of the download mirrors.

As noted by the requirements, this is also needed.

5. thejms thread starter macrumors newbie

6. JonMed macrumors newbie

Just Don't Mount

Do yourselves a favor, do not toy with NTFS mounters, they are deadly. A 1.5 terabyte external drive of mine has been corrupted with resulting loss of data (which I am now trying to retrieve) after only three days of using an NTFS mounter. To the developers' credit, they all warn you of the heavy risks involved -- but why take the risks if they are so patent?

Growing compatibility notwithstanding, these are two distinct platforms. I hope I remember, having just switched to Mac after a lifetime of PC's.

Cheers
    -- Jon