Move files from old user account to new

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sebby, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I have performed a clean install of Mountain Lion (due to some previous problems, so didn't want to upgrade). I want to restore my documents, music, pictures, etc only and not anything else. I have used Migration Assistance to restore my user account only - no settings, no applications, nothing else - but I have restored this to a different user account name. The reason I didn't just restore it to the new account setup when ML was installed is because there is no option to exclude Library, and I don't want to bring everything over.

So, what I now want to do now is just move the files from the restored OS X account to my new one. What is the best/easiest way of doing this?

Thank you in advance.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not sure how ML's folder structure is compared to Snow Leopard and such, but, in the Old Account, if you go MacIntosh HD>Users>New Account>Public Folder, there may be a Drop Box folder. Drag and drop all your files into that, and then you can then access them from the the Public folder when you login to the New Account.

3. Sebby thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Sebby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, so that worked and I now have all my files back in the correct place on the new account, and I've removed the old account and home folder. But, I can't access many of the folders; it says I don't have permission to see it's content. How can I sort this?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try this: select the Folder, Ctrl Click, choose Get Info and in the Info Panel and see if you can change Permissions in the Sharing and Permissions section.