Move from 17" to 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glenthompson, Jul 7, 2011.

1. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I'm currently using a hand-me-down 2007 17" MBP. I expect to replace it in the next 6 months or so. While I love the 17" screen, it's not really necessary for the tasks I do and it tends to be a little heavy when using it on my lap. Has anyone else moved from a 17" to a 15"? Any regrets?

I don't have any problems with the 17" for portability. It fits in my backpack case just fine and the weight is ok. I tend to keep the backpack light except when absolutely required.

A 13" is just a bit too small for my tastes. I use a 14" Lenovo for work and it's about the smallest screen I can tolerate on a long term basis - probably because I connect it to a pair of 19" monitors at work. Dealing with the small screen when traveling is annoying.

Glen

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What resolution does the 17" have? If it was the regular version without hi-res screen, then the current 15" with hi-res screen will have the same resolution (1680x1050). If that is the case, then you probably won't notice much difference in the screen estate, only in physical dimensions.

3. glenthompson thread starter macrumors 68000

glenthompson

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Went from a 17" PBG4 to a 15" MBP a few years ago. Loved it, and my next two MBPs have been 15"ers :D