Move from iPad + 17" MBP to....?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sbddude, Jan 24, 2011.

1. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I currently own a 17" MBP and iPad. Since getting an iPhone, I feel that the iPad is rather redundant and I have been thinking of other options. I like the light weight and battery life of the iPad, but for web browsing and watching youtube, netflix, hulu, etc, a netbook or laptop is better. When traveling I often end up carrying both the iPad and 17" MBP. I also have a windows laptop from work, but the battery life is abysmal on it, and it's not a mac :)

1. Replace iPad with Macbook Air (2nd Gen).
    Pros: Light, portable, full keyboard,
    Cons: Cost, MBA Battery Life, MBA expandability, 2 laptops seems redundant

2. Sell iPad and 17" MBP. Buy 13" MBP and iMac/PC Desktop
    Pros: Perfect balance of portability and capability. Long battery life, MBP expandability
    Cons: 13 MBP is still almost 5 lbs, old Core2Duo, low screen resolution

3. Live with what I have
    Pros: high performance when I carry my 17" with me, lowest cost, lowest effort (already have it), ipad is better for some tasks (games, kindle)
    Cons: 17" is heavy and shorter battery life. iPad isn't as versitile as a laptop.

4. Other options?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I say 15inch MacBook Pro specced out and an iPhone 4. That or a maxed out 13inch MacBook air and an iPhone 4. I agree though..I just got a MacBook Pro and now my iPad has turned into the family iPad/internet browsing device since I never use it.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

How about sell both and get a Mac Pro desktop base model + a 2.4GHz macbook pro 13" base model for $999 from microcenter OR a base model 11.6" mba.

I currently have the mac pro base model and I love it but I'm missing portability lately. I have a netbook that I use to carry around but its getting tiresome and I need to jump back onto a mac again! I'm thinking about picking up the base model 11" mba.

4. UltimaLink macrumors regular

I'd reccomend the iMac/PC and 13" MacBook combo, that's what I have, at least.

The Macbook isn't heavy, unless you're literally just skin and bone.

EDIT: I'd go for an iMac if you could, I have a PC and I hate switching so much I'm actually considering buying one myself.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

You have too many toys/options that it's confusing you. Sell 'em both and get a 15" Macbook Pro and be done with it. Keep it simple man.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

What are you talking about?!? More toys = better!! :)

7. UltimaLink macrumors regular

Pretty much this.

8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Assuming OP is not really doing any heavy productivity stuff, get

1)ipad 2

2)new mbp 13 and look to swap w/ ssd in near future if it doesn't come w/ it already

9. PUMMYUK macrumors member

How about keeping the iPad but selling the 17" and getting either a 2011 refreshed MBP or MBA 13"?

I do not know the costs involved, but assume you can get a reasonable amount for the 17".

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Sell both, buy the iPad 2 and MBP 15" refurbished

11. sbddude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Depending on what the 2100 13" MBP has that is a viable option. The MBA is not suitable as a main computer.

For now I sold the iPad and got a Nook Color. At 1/2 the price it's a decent substitute, at least until iPad 2 and/or MBP 2011 are announced.

12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Hold off for the MBP refresh. Its looking more and more like its going to be a hybrid between the current MBA and MBP. The best of both.

I have an ipad and iphone and I love the ipad for web browsing on the couch and reading, cant imaging not having it. The games are cool to.

13. deeesea macrumors 6502

Sell ipad. deposit money in bank account, save for a rainy day?

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That depends. Please take a look at the 17" MBP in my signature. Over the last couple of months it's been sitting idly by, as I do basically everything on my maxed out 13" MBA.