Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2014
I am considering a move from macOS on my 2020 MacBook Air to Linux on Lenovo X1 Carbon. My reasons are two fold:

1. I've been a Apple loyalist since 2013 and I am not sure that I want to continue the vendor lock-in that has been getting even stronger over time. iCloud services, Apple Silicon, etc.

2. I want to have more freedom to use any application without forbidden or being beholden to any corporate dogma, ideology or censorship. The recent banning of apps (Epic, Parler) on the App Store for iPhone has kindled this thought.

I currently own two macOS machines and both are pretty recent (2020 MBA 8g,512g and 2019 27" base iMac 1tb Fusion), but I am starting to question if I should cut my loses and sell them both, purchase a new X1 Carbon and convert everything to Linux. I have many years of experience with Linux, macOS and Windows professionally and personally so the learning curve is not an issue for me. This is more of a lack of trust and disagreement with the direction of Apple in general.

Without delving into any political discussion of why, I would be interested in opinions on making this switch.

The timing of switching (Selling the macOS Intel machines I have now or later for best selling price)?
The potential selling prices of these two machines now or later?
Where is the best place to sell them?
Aside from the Lenovo X1 or the Dell XPS or System76, is there another Linux laptop that anyone would recommended?

Reactions: ArizonaAnnie

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Linux on Lenovo X1 Carbon
Have you surveyed what apps you run and their availability on Linux? I've tried to make the transition to Linux myself a few times, but what stops me in my tracks is the apps I need are not available on Linux. In some cases there was a similar app that I could transition over too, but in other cases it simply didn't exist.

As for machines, I'd probably opt for a system 76 machine for the sake of having them work through the system settings/tweaks to ensure its running well.

Reactions: 370zulu

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
2. I want to have more freedom to use any application without forbidden or being beholden to any corporate dogma, ideology or censorship. The recent banning of apps (Epic, Parler) on the App Store for iPhone has kindled this thought.
This here is the reason I'm not even considering Apple again.

As far as Linux goes, Thinkpads work great. Everything is updated thru OS, even firmware and BIOS.
If you like gnome, I suggest you try PopOS out. Elementary OS 6.0 Beta is great as well, tried it recently, but since it's beta, still a bit buggy.

Aside from the Lenovo X1 or the Dell XPS or System76, is there another Linux laptop that anyone would recommended?
Tuxedo. Check this one out:
Tuxedo

Now, thats europe version. You can probably find the same laptop for US market, but under different name. It has a great CPU, really good battery life, fans are silent, etc.

Only thing I found mediocre is the screen. Not bright enough. But for that price (and it's upgreadable), it's a steal.

Reactions: 370zulu

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
I am considering a move from macOS on my 2020 MacBook Air to Linux on Lenovo X1 Carbon. My reasons are two fold:

1. I've been a Apple loyalist since 2013 and I am not sure that I want to continue the vendor lock-in that has been getting even stronger over time. iCloud services, Apple Silicon, etc.

I currently own two macOS machines and both are pretty recent (2020 MBA 8g,512g and 2019 27" base iMac 1tb Fusion), but I am starting to question if I should cut my loses and sell them both, purchase a new X1 Carbon and convert everything to Linux. I have many years of experience with Linux, macOS and Windows professionally and personally so the learning curve is not an issue for me. This is more of a lack of trust and disagreement with the direction of Apple in general.

Without delving into any political discussion of why, I would be interested in opinions on making this switch.

The timing of switching (Selling the macOS Intel machines I have now or later for best selling price)?
The potential selling prices of these two machines now or later?
Where is the best place to sell them?
If you want to sell, sell now. Mac hardware prices with Intel processors on the used market are dropping like crazy at the moment and will continue to drop as more Apple Silicon macs are released.

A quick note, Apple has repeatedly assured us that installing apps on the mac is not moving to App store only and never will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.