Move iLife to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by russell.h, Oct 20, 2007.

1. russell.h macrumors regular

I have a SR MBP and am running the installation of Tiger that was on here when I got it. I will be backing up files and completely wiping the hard drive when my preordered copy of Leopard gets here.

My question is, how do I get iLife onto Leopard. Actually all I need is iPhoto and iMovie. Can I simply transfer the .app packages from my Applications folder over to my Leopard installation? Is there some way I will be able to install them from my restore discs (or whatever they call the discs that come with macs) onto Leopard even though they were designed for Tiger?

Thanks,

Russell

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think I know what your asking. As long as you have the iLife disk you should be fine. If you don't you need to keep the app packages I think.

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

hummm

Doesn't iLife 08 come with Leopard?

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. Check out the list of included apps:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

I think iLife is only included when you buy a new Mac.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

So your MBP disks have the version of iLife you want? You're totally entitled to use it then. It's the same computer.

All you do do your clean install if you want, and then insert your MBP's restore tiger DVD when your just on the desktop. insert disk 1. Then click install individual software. Then choose iLife, and it will have you insert the other disk and install it.

No problems. Your computer came with iLife, and you're completely entitled to keep using it. That disk will work cause it's made to match up with that particular type of computer you own MBP.

6. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

Retail copies of OS X don't have iLife with them.

Just a question, why are you doing the clean install? You could do an archive install and be just fine.. this isn't like Windows where upgrades simply don't work.

7. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Some people (me included) just like starting with a clean slate when a new OS is released.

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

good thing then

Then it's a good thing that I bought a copy of iLife08 when I got iWork08. Thanks for clearing that up.

I plan on doing the archive and install option, so no big deal any way.