Move iLife to Leopard

russell.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I have a SR MBP and am running the installation of Tiger that was on here when I got it. I will be backing up files and completely wiping the hard drive when my preordered copy of Leopard gets here.

My question is, how do I get iLife onto Leopard. Actually all I need is iPhoto and iMovie. Can I simply transfer the .app packages from my Applications folder over to my Leopard installation? Is there some way I will be able to install them from my restore discs (or whatever they call the discs that come with macs) onto Leopard even though they were designed for Tiger?

Thanks,

Russell

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I think I know what your asking. As long as you have the iLife disk you should be fine. If you don't you need to keep the app packages I think.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I have a SR MBP and am running the installation of Tiger that was on here when I got it. I will be backing up files and completely wiping the hard drive when my preordered copy of Leopard gets here.

My question is, how do I get iLife onto Leopard. Actually all I need is iPhoto and iMovie. Can I simply transfer the .app packages from my Applications folder over to my Leopard installation? Is there some way I will be able to install them from my restore discs (or whatever they call the discs that come with macs) onto Leopard even though they were designed for Tiger?

Thanks,

Russell
So your MBP disks have the version of iLife you want? You're totally entitled to use it then. It's the same computer.

All you do do your clean install if you want, and then insert your MBP's restore tiger DVD when your just on the desktop. insert disk 1. Then click install individual software. Then choose iLife, and it will have you insert the other disk and install it.

No problems. Your computer came with iLife, and you're completely entitled to keep using it. That disk will work cause it's made to match up with that particular type of computer you own MBP.

4ndr3w

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Chicago
Retail copies of OS X don't have iLife with them.

Just a question, why are you doing the clean install? You could do an archive install and be just fine.. this isn't like Windows where upgrades simply don't work.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Retail copies of OS X don't have iLife with them.

Just a question, why are you doing the clean install? You could do an archive install and be just fine.. this isn't like Windows where upgrades simply don't work.
Some people (me included) just like starting with a clean slate when a new OS is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.