Move image files from PC to Mac with all metadata?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lazerbrains, Jul 9, 2012.

1. lazerbrains macrumors regular

lazerbrains

I have a Windows XP PC and for years have been collecting images and labeling them with their usage rights and so forth. I was a basically an image storage machine. I have successfully moved all my photos to my but all that info I have tediously added over the years is no where to be found. I still have the files on the PC so, I was wondering if there is a way to move them with this info intact?

The info in question is entered directly into Windows Explorer (Windows version of the Finder). I right click on the image> click on "Properties" > then click on the "Summary" tab and enter the info in the "Comments" box.

This works, on the PC and when I roll over the image, this info gets shown. Does anyone know how I can view this information on a Mac? I would assume the information is there somewhere, but I just need to figure out how to see it. Otherwise is there a way to transfer or import the images to include this data?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Open an image using Preview. From the "Tools" menu item, select "Show Inspector". does the window that pops up have the information you are looking for?

If not it may be something stored as part of the file system entry and you need to find a utility that would copy that information.