Move iPad library from MBP -->>HDD

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SteelWheel, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

Yes, another post on this topic: Sorry if this is a dupe, I promise I searched the forums. Normally, I'm a whiz at moving and recovering iTunes library and dealing with the "exclamation point of death" issues.

I have three separate iTunes libraries. Two are very large, kept on an external drive. The third is kept on my MBP internal drive--I used it exclusively for my 16G iPhone, so never anticipated needing so much disk space that I needed to worry about it. I never even had any songs on the damn things (that's what an iPod is for!)--just a video or two and lots of apps.

Enter my 64GB iPad. It seemed obvious to share the libraries for the two devices, as many of the apps run on both devices. But with the enormous capacity of the iPad (and my using it quite often for video files), the imposition on the internal drive is too great.

I've tried several different methods to copy the library over (the how-to on Lifehacker, the suggested method on the Apple site, use of a Mac app called PowerTunes)--but none of them seem to work (or they do seem to work, but I can never be sure that everything has copied--the destination library never appears to be as large as the source--and I have a huge amount of books, both iBook and Kindle, and an even larger amount of comic books from the various Comixology apps)--and I dread "cutting the cord" by syncing with the new library and then finding that a large chunk of my apps/books/comics are gone.

I know this is all because it is the mission statement of iTunes to make migration of libraries as difficult as possible--but this is too much for me. Is there any kind of walkthrough video or other tutorial on how to do this? Like I said, for music this stuff is easy--the apps and other non-music material make this a maddening task.

TIA

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I do not understand your dilemma at all. Just plug your iPad into the computer that has the content you want to sync to it, and then sync it.

These devices are not designed to be the sole place your media is stored- you need to have the content on your syncing computer, that's just how it works (for situations like if you need to restore your device, etc.)

Hope this helped, maybe I misunderstand your problem?

3. SteelWheel thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, I understand that the content "lives" on both the device and on a computer. What I'm trying to do is have the content "live" exclusively on the external HDD, rather than on the internal hard drive on my MBP, so I can reclaim that disk space for other uses.

At present, I do not have the room to "consolidate" all the data on the internal hard drive since it's filled to the brim as it is (hence the problem I'm encountering).

Or did I misunderstand your proposed solution? My iPhone and iPad share many apps, but each has some unique content of its own--if I hook up one of them, and tell iTunes to create a library for all the content of (for example) my iPad on the external HDD (copying from the device to the computer basically), how do I then connect the iPhone, and tell iTunes to copy all of its content to that same new library? Won't that create a whole bunch of dupes, and potentially create other havoc as well?