Move iPhone from US to Ireland?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hayduke, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

A colleague of mine has an AT&T contract here in the US with an iPhone on it. He is moving back to Ireland before the end of his contract. Can he take his phone with him to Ireland and get service for the phone or is he better off buying a new one once he is home and selling the old one while he is still in the States?

2. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

As much of a pain as it might be, I would probably sell the iPhone and buy in new one in the old country. I mean paying for service based on the other side of the Atlantic wouldn't seem right :\

3. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

I wasn't thinking that he would just take the phone and existing contract and use it in Ireland. He'd go broke in about a week.

I was wondering if he can show up in Ireland with an existing iPhone and sign-up for service there (presumably get a new sim). He would obviously pay the early termination fee in the States before leaving.

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Unless the phone is unlocked, it will only work with an AT&T SIM. So he's have no luck in Ireland with using it.

5. hayduke thread starter macrumors 65816

hayduke

Makes sense. I might just end up with another phone for my wife at a good price. :p

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Provided that he does not have a 3G model already on 2.2.1 firmware, he would be best off unlocking. That way, he can do whatever he likes with it in Ireland.

Apologies to your wife if he takes this advice :D