Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
This can't be hard but I can't find the applicable directions.

I have a 7y/o MBP with iPhoto. I used iTunes Library Manager to merge everything to an external. Now I want to move iPhoto to a new MBPr, keeping the actual images on the external. I want to keep my albums, faces, and ratings. I'm running the latest version of the OS and iPhoto.

How?

TIA

Last edited:

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA
Just so I understand your situation:

You want to keep your rMBP plugged into the external every time that you wish to access iPhoto, correct? That is, you don't want to transfer the actual image files over to your rMBP?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Does your iPhoto library use managed the images, or reference them. If the latter then all you have to do is move the library. If they're managed, i.e., images inside the library, then you cannot easily pull it apart at this stage - if I'm understanding your question.

I'm not sure why you mention iTunes Library Manager since that has nothing to do with iPhoto AFAIK

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you have not done so, change from a managed library to a referenced one. The original/master files can then sit on an external drive. You can keep the iPhotos library of edits and jpg previews on the boot disk as it will not be so large.

That is what I do in Aperture and LR. The masters are in file system folders on an external library drive. The Aperture library and LR catalog are on the boot drive. Both the boot drive and library drive are backed up by Time Machine.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Can't you just use option-open or use iPhoto Library Manager on the rMBP to select the library you want on the external, and have it open on your rMBP?

You said "move iPhoto," but I assume you meant the library?

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Can't you just use option-open or use iPhoto Library Manager on the rMBP to select the library you want on the external, and have it open on your rMBP?

You said "move iPhoto," but I assume you meant the library?

If I use the option-open won't I lose folders and projects created on the original laptop.

The objective is to have iPhoto on the new laptop that's identical to what I have now. All the albums, faces, ratings etc. The photos are on an external and will stay there.

----------

Just so I understand your situation:

You want to keep your rMBP plugged into the external every time that you wish to access iPhoto, correct? That is, you don't want to transfer the actual image files over to your rMBP?

Yes

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Anybody? I guess iphone 6 has taken all of the oxygen out of the forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.