Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgstiffler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I got a Macbook Pro to replace my Windows laptop and want to sync my iPhone to it. Most of you will know that when you try to do this, the new machine will say that it needs to format your iPhone before it will sync.

I copied the iTunes folder from my Music directory on my PC to an external HD. I didn't keep music in iTunes on my Windows machine, I kept it all separate. I have already imported all of my music into iTunes on the MBP though.

What do I need to do to sync my iPhone to my MBP without having to format it?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you've imported the music, it is all there, and plays fine, then you are ready to sync.

mrgstiffler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
If you've imported the music, it is all there, and plays fine, then you are ready to sync.

I would have to format my phone. I don't care about the music, I don't have any on my phone. It's all the apps and everything else I have on the phone that really matters.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I would have to format my phone. I don't care about the music, I don't have any on my phone. It's all the apps and everything else I have on the phone that really matters.

In that case, you'll have to find where the backups are kept on the PC, and move them to the Mac.

I don't own an iPhone, so I have no idea where the apps would be, unless they are in the iTunes folder somewhere.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
The apps are in My Music>iTunes>Mobile Applications

iPhone/iPod Touch Backups are harder to find.

First, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options...>View>Show hidden files and folders.

Now, go to My Computer. Open Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Those are you iPhone/iPod Touch backups.

Once you move those to your mac, you should be able to restore to them in iTunes.

(Or, you could just set your iPhone to Manual Sync on your PC. Then plug it into the Mac, it will back it up for you. Then move all your apps from your PC to the Mac. Then, if you want auto sync again, you can restore to the backup you just made)

mrgstiffler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the post. I have the files from Music->iTunes. But I don't have the mobile backup. Is there any way to trick the iPhone into thinking it's the same computer and syncing?

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Thanks for the post. I have the files from Music->iTunes. But I don't have the mobile backup. Is there any way to trick the iPhone into thinking it's the same computer and syncing?

Well you can grab the backup files with the method in the above post...

BUT, I would suggest that you plug your iPhone into your old Windows computer, and open iTunes. On the main iPhone Screen in iTunes, select at the bottom of page "Manually Manage Music".

Now, take that iPhone and plug it into your new Mac. The box that used to come up for you asking if you wanted to reformat shouldn't show up. Now right click on your iPhone in the source list (that big pane in the left). Choose "back up". This back up may take a while. Its gong to back up your app data, which apps are synced, etc.

Now, assuming you have already moved your apps, movies, music, etc., you are ready to sync. Right click on your iPhone in the left pane again, and choose restore from backup. This could take a few hours. Once you are done, set your iPhone to auto sync your music and apps.

mrgstiffler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I think I prolly should have been a little more specific. I no longer have the old laptop. I only have the iTunes directory.

I synced my phone and it's working pretty well right now. Here's what I did:

1) I copied the files from my iTunes->Mobile Applications directory into iTunes->Applications. They all got added.

2) Told iTunes to sync my entire phone. It said that it would need to format it, I said OK.

Before it formatted everything it transferred any apps that were on my phone and not in iTunes. I did not think it would do this and makes the "iTunes will format your phone and you will lose everything" dialogue rather miss-leading. After that it copied all my apps back to my phone. It did not touch my email, SMS, contacts or settings like I thought it would.

Now I have exactly what I wanted. My iPhone connected to my new MBP and all my apps intact. Making a backup of my phone to an external drive now. Also, I suppose Time Machine will backup the backups that iTunes makes too. I should be good in the future.

Thanks for all the replies and help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.