Move iTunes library from external drive to local on new MBP. Keep metadata intact.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tejaykay, Nov 16, 2008.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Here's my current situation:

I'm awaiting delivery of a new MBP. One thing I'm looking forward to is a larger hard drive so I can finally store my iTunes library locally. Currently my iTunes library resides on an external FW hard drive, whilst the library's .xml file is on the local HD (along with App Store downloads and some of my library's album artwork).

When my new Mac arrives I will use the Migration Assistant to install everything from a time machine backup. Time machine runs on the same FW hard drive but the itunes library is not backed up onto it as it exists on the same device. However, I presume that after I have created my machine from the time machine backup, it'll have all the same settings and metadata as my last machine, so it'll be able to play music off of the external hard drive straight away.

What I think I should do next?

1. My new MBP is set up so it appears to be the exact same machine as my PB after using Migration Assistant.
    2. I open iTunes and change the iTunes music directory to a folder I create on the local HD.
    3. I then consolidate the library so iTunes will copy everything from the external drive to the newly created folder on the local HD
    4. All the metadata will be automatically changed so that iTunes now reads off of the local library and not from the external one.
    5. Once I have performed a backup, I then delete my external library and everything should work absolutely fine

Have I got this right, or am I totally off the mark?

This is a 60GB music collection which has had the same metadata for several years and I'd rather not lose it. Has anyone else performed this same task and done it different/correctly?

Thanks for your help. All comments welcome.

(Here are guides that I've looked at: TUAW, AskDaveTaylor, iLounge, Old MacRumors Thread and Apple Support)

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Your metadata will be fine.

Only things iTunes doesn't write tags to the actual files is for TV shows and movies. All music is written to.

To be honest, if all your music is in your iTunes Library (consolidate library now) then all you have to do is drag your iTunes Library onto your external hard drive. That way all your playlists and window sizes are kept the same.

3. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I would but my HD in my PowerBook is only 80GB and wouldn't be able to fit my library.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Ah, I understand now.

Select the Time Machine hard drive as the directory for your iTunes library then consolidate library. I can't remember whether the iTunes xml file gets moved too, but if not you can just copy it over.