Move itunes library to external drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Sep 2, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

So,i'm buying an external drive an i want to move my itunes library in there.

I know,go to prefs and change my library destination to my external drive.But by moving the destination does it also changes the whole library?I mean will my songs be transfered to my external?Or will i have to to that manually?

2. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Copy your itunes folder to your ext. drive, then point your itunes to it.

This doesn't affect iPhone apps BTW which stay on your local machine annoyingly.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Here's a link to the official Apple knowledge base article on moving your iTunes library.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well what you do is the stuff you stated before (preferences then tell it to change where to save stuff), then you consolidate the library.
    I should know this best, I keep my whole iTunes library on an external drive.

And to you and the other poster, you can put apps and games in the external hard drive, you just have to move them from the folder and put them on your external drive.
    Then you manually relocate them.

5. fyrmedic macrumors member

iphoto to?

can you move your Iphoto library to an external also

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

A simple Google search for "move iPhoto library" gives this link as the very first result

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'm not positive since I use Windows, but I'm pretty sure it will work the same way as as iTunes.