Move iTunes Library to MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by steved3313, Oct 9, 2012.

1. steved3313 macrumors newbie

Just got a new MBA. I currently have my iTunes library on my W7 machine, with the files all stored on an external USB drive. I'd like to move that library over to the MBA and then be able to sync all my devices with the MBA, without having to erase them all and start over. How do I do that?

2. lordboogie, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

lordboogie macrumors member

If you have your itunes library consolidated... meaning your Itunes library files are in /Users/*username*/Music/iTunes, and your Itunes Media (music, ipad/iphone apps,etc. ) are all in /Users/*username*/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. You should be able to copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder from W7 and copy it over the Itunes folder on your mac.

Once you open itunes it will update the library and everything should transfer over, playlists and playcounts included.

I do this at home. My Win7 PC is the master Library and I kept that backed up to a server, and my macbooks both copy the same library and media files from the server, so everything is perfectly synced with my W7 PC being the master and my macbooks having the same identical libraries.

EDIT: JUST SAW YOUR MUSIC IS ON EXTERNAL HDD
    I run a similar setup at home, the itunes library files are on my C drive, but the actual ITUNES MEDIA folder is on a seperate RAID volume.

Still shouldn't matter. As long as the entire ITUNES MEDIA folder is on the external (and all your music, apps, etc are saved to this folder) and the ITUNES LIBRARY FILES are in /Users/*username*/Music/iTunes... Copy everything from /Users/*username*/Music/itunes (itunes library files and album artwork folder) to the itunes folder on your MBA. Overwrite the itunes media folder (within the Home/Music/itunes) on your MBA with the ITUNES MEDIA folder on your external.

Now... if you want to just keep the library files on your MBA and the actual media files (ITUNES MEDIA) on your external, that might not work since Windows and OSX map removable drives different. But you may be able to get it to work.

The most important thing is that all of your itunes media (music, photos, iphone apps, ipad apps, podcast, etc.) are all consolidated into the ITUNES MEDIA folder otherwise you will be missing files when the itunes library builds.

Hope this helps