Move Mail data to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by appleimac27, Mar 10, 2012.

1. appleimac27 macrumors newbie

appleimac27

I have discovered that my Mail folder is absolutely massive and I would like to move it to an external drive instead of keeping it on my internal hard drive. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks.

2. appleimac27 thread starter macrumors newbie

appleimac27

Ok, apparently something was a lot more wrong than just having a lot of messages...I knew something had to be up when I noticed how much of my hard drive was dedicated to mail. Heres the full story: So my hard drive was filling up and I was forced to get an external drive to store some data on. I also decided to partition it half and half and use it as a time machine backup device. After I got it set up, I decided it was time to figure out what to put on the new drive so I downloaded "Disk inventory X" to figure out what was very large and easily moveable. As soon as I opened it up, it was apparent that something was absolutely massive, over twice as big as my iPhoto library. Wondering what could be this huge, I look over at the key and find that this massive part of my harddrive is 400 gigabytes of Mail files, leading me to post this thread. Now that I look back, it was silly to assume that I had so much mail, but I was sure my hard drive wasn's lying so I decided to move it to my new external hard drive. After posting this, I decided to continue digging thinking maybe I could find some sort of answer to my problem on my own, and came across this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1027800&highlight=harddisk+is+suddenly+full. Near the bottom of the thread somebody mentions that their brand new hard drive filled up for no reason, and it turned out to be some sort of massive recovery mail folder. I then decided to examine my recovery box folders more carefully, and found that one of them was 300-something gigabytes large(I am not sure if it is related but it was a Gmail folder). When I began to browse through this folder, I realized, completely shocked, that it contained 4 smaller but still huge folders, each one containing tons upon tons of copies of the SAME EMAIL. One of the emails took up 2 folders with copies, another one took up one folder, and its attachment took up one folder. All the same "recovered" emails. Nearly 400 gigabytes worth. After deleting all the copies except one of each email, I have freed up 396 gigabytes on my "full" hard drive in seconds. I didn't delete the last of each file because I'm curious to see if they start duplicating again. If you notice your hard drive is filling up bizarrely fast, I suggest you check Library/Mail/V2 and check how big each "recovery" inbox is in case this has happened to you.

3. kmac11 macrumors newbie

Dear appleimac27,

I am currently facing the exact same problem as you were. I followed your advice and also my Mail is extraordinarily huge, as Disk Inventory X showed me. Was your problem solved after you deleted the V2 folder?
    In other words, do I only need to delete the folder in order for my Mac to work properly again?
    Thanks!