Move MB HD to MBP without migration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donaldjlynch, Sep 16, 2009.

1. donaldjlynch macrumors newbie

This may sound strange but here is my issue.
    I have an plastic (white) Mac Book with a 500gb hd and a pre-uni-body Mac Book Pro with just a 250gb hd.
    because of the large number of apps and settings I do not want to start from scratch and called Apple and was told I could just take the hard drive out of the Mac Book and place it in the Mac Book Pro without issue. I would have to run some updates but it would work (and the software on it) would work just fine.
    Does this sound strange to you.
    I have considered buying a 750gb Western Digital drive and starting from scratch and then migrating but I really want to know what you think.
    On the Western Digital drive. It's 12.5mm and I know th drive in the Mac Book Pro is 9.5. I have read of user installing this drive without issue. Has anybody here tried this. (the drive is a WD7500KEVT WD Scorpio Blue)
    Thanks

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the drive should fit into the macbook pro. i havent heard much or had much issues with installing 500GB drives into any of the MBP's

you can do a direct swap of drives if you desire..there really shouldnt be any issues, it will detect it upon start up, check for updates install any you may need, check system profiler make sure its all good to go and there really should be any issue.

however, back up , back up, back up, back up, back up, back up.

migrating is essentially similar to waht you will be doing.
    except instead of the migration assistn taking all that time to pt the same apps in the same spot they will be over a new installation its already ready to go on your current drive..

if oyu have a firewire or usb enclosure you can definitely try booting from the dirve first and see if it works too.