Move my thing from HDD to SSD with time machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Nov 7, 2012.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I'm trying to change my HDD with a new SSD, I've plugged the SSD in with a USB cable and I'm using it to make a complete Time Machine back up and then I am thinking of swopping the HDD with the SSD, is that going to be fine or I need to find other way to clone everything from the HDD into the SSD including the OS itself?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Sounds like you want to boot the Time Machine Backup. That isn't going to work.
    You would need to make the TM Backup to some place that isn't the SSD. Swap drives, restore from the Backup to the SSD, possible install OSX before I am not sure.

It is much faster to just download Carbon Copy Cloner in Version 3.4.5 and use this. Clone drive, swap, boot, done.

3. paul-n macrumors regular

You can also use SuperDuper which also works pretty easy. Just format your SSD first, then start SuperDuper. Select source and target, and then you just need to wait a while. You seem to have an external case, so that the way to go.
    After finishing cloning you can place your HDD in the USB case and you it for Time Machine backups.