Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meathane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
any way of setting u mac to move files when u drag them to an external HDD, instead of just copying them? the reason i move them is to save space, i dont need them twice!!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Yeah- I think Apple+drag works. You have to hold down apple FIRST though because it is also the key to select multiple items, so it doesn't work quite like option+drag- but it should do the trick!

meathane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
cheers. also spotlight is not adding certain folders into the privacy list if said folders are on the external drive. any reason why?

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Like other have say, hold down the command key (the apple) down to move, hold alt+command to make an alias.

For the privacy in spotlight on external HD, for me it's working on the two Firewire HD. even after ejecting them and remount them. Can you describe more the problem you get? try repair the HD with the disk utility.

meathane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
when i highlight the drive (either of the 2, u know theres 2, external, then lacie sort of under it) in disk utility, it wont let me repair disk permissions. all i can do is verify or repair. so i verified and all was fine.

what now?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
meathane said:
when i highlight the drive (either of the 2, u know theres 2, external, then lacie sort of under it) in disk utility, it wont let me repair disk permissions.
Right. You can only repair permissions on a drive that has OS X installed on it (and that's fine, because it wouldn't have anything to do if OS X isn't installed there).
all i can do is verify or repair. so i verified and all was fine.
Check to see who the owner of those folders is (with Get Info in Finder, reveal the details in the ownership and permissions section). You cannot add folders to the privacy list unless you have read and write permission.

meathane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
ownership permissions: you can read and write

but no drop down menus or nothing, just the text 'you can read and write'

i tried rebooting and indexing my macintosh HD but it aint happening...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
meathane said:
ownership permissions: you can read and write

but no drop down menus or nothing, just the text 'you can read and write'

i tried rebooting and indexing my macintosh HD but it aint happening...
Ohhhhhhh, no pull downs? Is this an MS-DOS formatted disk then? That's a known problem, many spotlight features are only working under HFS+ :(

meathane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
how do i mac format it then? spotlight does find things on the disk, just wont let me put it in the privacy thing! so it does work with spotlight...

if i format it to mac os x will i have full control of it then? how do i do that?

thanks u guys

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
meathane said:
how do i mac format it then?
Call up Disk Utility (in the Applications/Utilities folder), click on the volume, then the Erase tab, and pick Mac Os Extended for the volume format (journaled or not is up to you). You may have to click on the "outer" disk contoller rather than the volume to change the format type. Then, you can click the Erase button to make it all happen.
spotlight does find things on the disk, just wont let me put it in the privacy thing! so it does work with spotlight...
Right, it just doesn't let you change what gets indexed, and it has a nasty habit of re-indexing FAT volumes over and over and over :p
if i format it to mac os x will i have full control of it then?
Yes, you should have control then. Formattng to HFS does take away the ability to read the volume on a Windows machine unless you pick up a third-party driver, so you may want to set aside a partition to format as FAT if you think you'll want to be doing transfers in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.