Move Over iPhone 3G. Sprint preparing 4G Cell Network - 2011 Release Date?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Prof., Sep 4, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

"Sprint has at least a two-year head start with 4G technology."

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

didn't know that sprint was planning on being around that long. LOL

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Move over iPhone 3G?

Slowly, over the next 3 years.

4. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

still 3 more yrs left.. my contract will be over by that time..so it's ok ^^

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Considering the fact that AT&T just launched 3G this year and Sprint has had it for a few years now I would say they have a head start.

6. K3mp macrumors 6502

It is a bit of hard to compare products of 2011 to products of 2008.

7. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Well... if this is to be implemented by 2011... that is three more years. In the past two years, we've had two iPhones. Doing the math, I'd say it is a strong possibility that by the time 4G is out that we might have yet another iPhone?

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I just wished T-mo would buy them because I haven't heard of any T-mo 4G prospects...

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Many things can happen in three years time.

10. agbot macrumors regular

I think you could write hundreds of articles that state "Move over [insert current technology here], in 3 or more years [insert future technology here] may potentially take over." :rolleyes:

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

True, but AT&T now have a massive incentive (i.e. revenue generating stream) from its 3G network that should light a fire under it.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

And by then the AT&T exclusivity deal will be over.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think Apple needs to fix the software in the iPhone first. I have been hearing so many complaints from iPhone owners about the phone more than the lack of AT&T's network.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

2011 is when everybody else is expected to launch 4G via LTE. Sprint is apparently still planning to launch it via WiMAX in a limited capacity later this year. Just a few months ago they announced that they were going to launch it in Baltimore this month.

And Prof., a link would be helpful: here is his source.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Which doesn't matter if Apple don't release a CDMA handset to utilize Sprint's legacy networks.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's coming... T-Mobile is supposedly launching test 4G / LTE in Germany next year. And they do seem fairly serious about LTE in the US ultimately also. But I do tend to think that all four of T-Mo, Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T won't continue to exist in their current forms by the time LTE comes out -- that one of them will get subsumed somewhere.

As for Sprint and WiMAX ... it sounds like a nice technology, but the encapsulation and isolation of Sprint's product is what made me walk away in the first place. I left Sprint when I wanted to upgrade (2003), and my criteria were that the phone... have bluetooth, be able to store a calendar and sophisticated contacts by 2003 standards, and sync with computers (either Mac or Win). And I had to leave Sprint because I couldn't have any of those things.

Now Sprint has fairly sophisticated phones that play videos and stuff like that and I still can't just plug them in and get my contacts and calendar and iTunes songs on them.... I guess they have a Blackberry or two, but....

The media stuff is nice, but the basic PIM-type connectivity is de rigeur.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It should also be pointed out that Sprint's track record for meeting deadlines is 100% in the failure rate.

They actually projected WiMax as operating by THIS year, originally, and that everyone on Sprint would have handsets with blazingly fast internet. Oh well, guess that's not happening till 2011 now. If that.

Before that, their latest implementation of 3G (EVDO Rev a) was supposed to be nationwide in 2007. I didn't really start to happen until this year.

EVDO? That was supposed to be in 2004. Try 2006 for actual launch.

And 1XRTT, the generation before that? That was supposed to be ready in 2001. They weren't in hand until the end of 2002.

Let's also not forget, 3G is still not implemented nationwide on Sprint's network, and in many areas, 1X is still the best you can hope for. So forgive me for being skeptical about Sprint and 4G, but I was a longtime customer of theirs, and I've heard this song and dance many times before.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How many phones other than the iPhone will Apple allow iTunes to be used.

Comparing Sprints 3G to AT&T's how much more widespread is Sprint.

19. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Sorry, that is incorrect. AT&T initially launched their 3G back in 2006.

As for Sprints WiMax, thanks, I think I will avoid picking a technology that only one company in the US will be using, especially when that one company appears to be rapidly dying.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How widespread was AT&T's 3G in 2006? It is 2008 and it is not that far spread.

21. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

I remember hearing about WiMAX for the first time in 2003 or 2004. Anyone know what's taking so long?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im sure Apple has created a lot of things back in 2003 that just came to market as well. Just because it was created in 2003 doesn't mean its ready for use for another 5 years. A lot of this has to wait until the analog TV turn off next year.

23. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Not very. But that wasn't my point. My point was to clarify an misstatement of fact, AT&T did not just roll out 3G this year, they began the roll out in 2006. And as with every cellular carrier, the roll outs occur over a period of time.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If it wasn't for the iPhone AT&T still would not have rolled out as much as they did.

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sprint's ineptness. That's what's taking so long.