Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChief

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Bankside, London SE1
I want to manually move all my iPhotos from my G4 iBook to my brand new Intel MacBook ... Woohoo! (Sorry, I couldn't resist :eek: ) I want to keep all my keywords, this is important because I have over 4500 photos. All of them have keywords that took me a long time to attach and which I obviously don't want to lose.

Also, in general, do Intel Macs 'read' files differently to a PowerPC Mac?

iChief

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Bankside, London SE1
Nope. Just transfer the entire Library and it'll just work!

Thanks, robbie. I kinda guessed that it would just work, because I switched 3 years ago and that's always been my experience. But I just wanted to make sure because I've never owned an Intel Mac before. I still don't really understand the difference :p

Anyway, I will try it later on today when I take delivery of my new MacBook. Woohoo! (I'm sorry, did I mention that already?) Hehe :eek:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I think you can just connect them via Firewire and let the migration assistant do it for you. Otherwise you can just copy the entire folder manually...

iChief

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Bankside, London SE1
I think you can just connect them via Firewire and let the migration assistant do it for you. Otherwise you can just copy the entire folder manually...

Good new ... bad news ...
The good news is that I took delivery of my brand new MacBook today ... Woohoo!
The bad news is that when I moved my iPhoto (v.4) library from my PowerPC iBook to iPhoto 6 on my shiny new Intel MacBook the keywords weren't moved with the pics.

Well, all the keywords that I had created are available but they're not assigned to ANY of the photos. I mean, not one photo has a keyword assigned

iChief

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Bankside, London SE1
Good new ... bad news ...
The good news is that I took delivery of my brand new MacBook today ... Woohoo!
The bad news is that when I moved my iPhoto (v.4) library from my PowerPC iBook to iPhoto 6 on my shiny new Intel MacBook the keywords weren't moved with the pics.

Well, all the keywords that I had created are available but they're not assigned to ANY of the photos. I mean, not one photo has a keyword assigned

Scrub that !! Sorry guys. I was looking in the wrong place :eek: Everything worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.