Move Pictures from Computer to iPod touch

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by WuLabswuTecH, Nov 10, 2012.

1. WuLabswuTecH macrumors member

Hi All,

I have some pictures on my computer that I want on my iPod Touch. What is the best way to MOVE them to my i OS device?

Now before you suggest iTunes, please take note that I don't want it to SYNC. After I make the move, I want to be able to delete or change the file location on my PC without it affecting the pictures on my iPod. Right now, when I use iTunes, I select the folders I want, but then later when I sync a different folder or if I make changes to the first folder, upon the next sync, it updates my iPod touch's folder (order, number of pictures etc) and I don't want it to do this. I just want a new album on my iPod Touch that is not tethered to anything else.

I tried photostream, but have not found a way to import a group of photostream albums to my local iPod Touch album collection.

Any of you folks who are smarter and more experienced than I am have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    -Wu

2. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Let me just say that using any Apple stuff to do this is a pain in the ass when it worked and is convoluted. And in iOS 6, you cannot mass import anymore with the apps I used (I used many iOS wifi photo uploader apps). Nearly made me scream. One of the reasons I couldn't stand using iOS anymore and made me switch to Android. On Android, I just drag and dropped my photos onto my phone when plugged in with USB or with something like AirDroid that does it over wifi.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you want to do it over the internet, then use the Dropbox iOS app and the Dropbox desktop app.

If you'd rather use local Wifi (without internet being involved) then try an app like Files Pro.

(Also, you can use USB with Files Pro. You still go through iTunes to make the transfer happen, but it's a transfer, not a sync. Everything is done manually so it avoids the issues you have now.)

4. WuLabswuTecH thread starter macrumors member

I have the dropbox app. If i do so, I see that my photos show up in my dropbox on my computer and on my ipod touch, but how do I get those photos into the photo app to be placed into albums and such?

I'm also looking into files pro.

Thanks,
    -Wu

5. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Very wierd thing you are trying to do .. certainly dont understand the motive..

However, lets say you have unchecked the Photos tab in iTunes whenever you sync ... now lets say somehow you are able to create albums and put photos into them, the next time you sync wouldnt itunes just remove all ?? I am asking because I have NEVER tried this way :eek:

Oh and if you want to create Albums on the device itself then all photos need to be in camera roll which means you have to open each photo from Dropbox manually into Photos app and save to camera roll ...

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, what is wrong with just using good old reliable iTunes sync ?

7. WuLabswuTecH thread starter macrumors member

There are a couple of problems with iTunes sync, but the main one is that I can only sync with one computer at a time. So if I'm syncing with my laptop, when I sync to my desktop, it screws everything up. Secondly, if I want to send an entire album's worth of pictures to, say, my parent's computer so they have photos from my vacation, as soon as I hook it up to their iTunes and sync, it deletes everything! So essentially I can only use one computer with my iPod and that just seems very weird coming from other devices I used before apple products where you could drag and drop from 100 computers if your heart desired to do so!

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if on windows install icloud control panel and then create a new shared photostream and add pics

if on mac I think it's same but via iPhoto

this will create a new photostream album on your device and if you want the pics on device just save them

9. mactmaster macrumors 6502

PhotoSync form the App Store will do exactly what you are trying to do. It's not free ($1.99) but it's worth it. Just install it on your iPod touch and install the companion app on your PC. Make sure both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. You can then drop a folder containing all photos for an album and you can set PhotoSync to automatically add the photos to an existing or new album on your iPod touch.

It's all over local network so it will be faster than Photostream, Dropbox etc.

10. aoitsukinosuke macrumors regular

There a number of apps, which treat your ipod/iphone as an external drive, you can use for this task.

Personally, I use USB Disk.
    1) Download app.
    2) Connect yr ipod and click on it on the sidebar.
    3) Go to apps tab. Down below you'll see File Sharing with a list of certain apps.
    4) Click USB Disk. Then, add button. Choose whichever picture(s) you like. Click "Open". Voila. The pictures are on your ipod.
    5) Go to USB Disk on your ipod. Choose the pictures. Click the arrow-like icon at the top and save to your photos.

No syncing. Hope this helps.

11. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I use an app called PhotoSync - one of my most used and recommended apps.

Sits in the menu bar (Mac/PC) and you can select as many or as little photos as you want..can upload into a new album too.

http://www.photosync-app.com/

Attached Files: