Move/Relocate "Movies" folder from iTunes directory.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cowm007, Oct 16, 2008.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

Is there anyway I can relocate the "Movies" folder out from the "iTunes Music" folder onto a different drive, but also have iTunes organize the media automatically? My current drive has 50GB left which won't last much more. I got a new 500GB drive so I'd like to load my 250GB of movies there so that I won't run out of space soon.

I know I could just do it manually, but I like iTunes' file naming scheme and directory structure. I've tried creating a symbolic link called "Movies" that points to the new desired location. This works well for movies already in the program, but if I try to add a file, I get an error that the directory it's trying to write to doesn't exist.

Maybe someone has a cool hack that will get this working so that I don't have to resort to manual organization.

2. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

Current Solution

Alright so I came up with a temporary work around. It required me finding out about the trick on how holding "option" button when adding files changes iTunes' behavior.

First off, I went to settings and turned off "Copy files to iTunes Music folder..." setting. This means that iTunes just references the file in its current location, rather than moving it to its folder. However this still left me with the problem that Music/TV Shows would remain un-organized. Turns out that if you leave the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" setting checked, it will still take care of managing files within its folder. So all I need to do now is hold option when dragging new media into iTunes and it'll do the old behavior of copying and renaming. Even quicker, you can move the new files into the iTunes Music folder and drag them from there so that iTunes will do a move instead of a copy.

As for the movies, I moved them to their new location and left a symbolic link in the place of the Movies folder. The iTunes library still remembers the old location unfortunately, but file operations don't have issues with the symbolic link.