Move some user directories to another volume

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Outcast-au, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Outcast-au macrumors member

Ok - So I've made the leap to an SSD boot disk on my mac pro... so I'm now a little bit short on space (120Gb is not enough for my picture and itunes library... also my downloads... the list goes on.

SO...

How can I move the follow DIR's to another volume without screwing up the permissions?

Downloads
    Pictures
    Movies
    Music

I've created alias's but it seems to stuff up the permissions. I even copied the original data over then created an alias...

Any hints?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

change the location of your Home directory in Accounts preference's Advanced Options by right clicking on your username on the left (make sure you unlock). then reboot.

EDIT: ok i just tested this to double check by changing the directory to "/" rebooted and was greated to a default desktop. if this happend to you its fine your home directory is still there. just change it back to "/Users/your username" and reboot then it will be back to normal. dont know how to do it exactly but it can be done in Account advanced preferences.

3. Outcast-au thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but i already got that part... I don't want to move the entire user profile as a lot of stuff ends up in library. So I only want to move the DIR's listed in the first post.

Cheers.