Move subtitles when encoding?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nermal, Jun 6, 2017.

  1. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #1
    Hi all,

    One of my Blu-rays contains several scenes where they're speaking another language, and subtitles are present... but they're in the wrong place. Instead of being inside the 2.39:1 picture frame, they're in the black bar at the bottom of the screen. As my home theatre has a 2.39:1 screen, this means that they're part of the cropped-out area and I lose them entirely.

    I can easily rip the movie with HandBrake and choose to burn the subtitles into the video, but there doesn't seem to be an option to move them at the same time. Does anyone know how I can move the subtitles before burning them in? It doesn't necessarily have to be using HandBrake.
     
  2. dorsal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2002
    #2
    If you export the text with Handbrake, you can bring it into FCPX and put it anywhere you want. SUGARfx Subtitles plug in would make it even easier. You might even be able to do it with QT Pro.
     
  3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #3
    I could do that in a pinch, but I'd prefer to keep them as graphics so that I don't lose the font. I'll see whether anyone else has any ideas :)

    PS. I don't have FCP, but I do have QT Pro.
     
  4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #4
    I've finally come back to this project, and have succeeded. The free "BDSup2Sub" utility can take the Blu-ray subtitle track and move it. I then needed to remux the new track into the original video, but once I'd done that I put it all in HandBrake and it came out fine :)

    It can also resize subtitles. I found a couple of old theatrical screenshots of this movie and found that the Blu-ray's subtitles were also ~30% smaller than they should have been, so I was able to stretch them back out. I have a "good" encode now!
     

Share This Page