Move Time Machine backup to *smaller* drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Draft, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

I'm trying to move my Time Machine backup from my Drobo to another disk, so I can reformat my Drobo, then copy back the TM back. The problem is that I don't have a disk that's bigger then the Drobo, so I need to copy it onto a smaller disk before copying it back to the Drobo.

I've tried to do this the way that's described all over the web (using Disk Utility), but this always results in the error: Restore Failure, Not enough space on /dev/disk1s2 to restore. I believe this is because everyone is going to a *bigger* disk and I'm trying to go the other way.

I've also tried to use Carbon Copy Cloner, but this doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Does anyone know how to do this? Possibly rsync from the terminal??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    David

2. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. Exactly that. Through Disk Utility, I selected restore and dragged my current Time Machine drive into Source and my smaller 'backup' drive into Destination. This gives the above error every time. I've also tried unmounting, remounting and rebooting, but this seems to have no affect.

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Arrandale macrumors regular

can you not manually copy over the backup?

5. jayhawkbabe macrumors newbie

This reply is very late, but for the benefit of anyone still following this thread (or forthcoming), I believe I have the answer.

I tried to use Disk Utility (and also rsync, asr, and ditto all as superuser) to clone my Time Machine drive to a new one. The original drive was larger than the destination drive, however the size of the occupied space on the original drive was significantly smaller than the destination drive. Thus, I was surprised when I was told by Disk Utility that there was not enough room on the destination drive to restore.

On a hunch, I examined my old Time Machine drive using Drive Genius and noticed that it was highly fragmented. So, I allowed Drive Genius to defragment the original drive. Afterwards, I was able to use Disk Utility to restore the files to my new drive.

Thus, I think the solution is to defragment your original Time Machine drive first. You can use Disk Utility or, presumably, another defragmenting tool.