Move Time Machine Backups to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Le Big Mac, May 8, 2008.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I have time machine backing up to an external hard drive for myself and my wife's macbook. Just got a time capsule. Is there a way to copy over the existing backups to the time capsule and have time machine keep those backups going?

Or do I need to start over? (Or hook up the external as an airdisk to the TC . . .)

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Be much easier just to start over, you don't exactly need all those backups do you.

3. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

There is that . . . if the answer is complicated, then I'm not going to bother. But if there's a relatively easy way I'd rather have the backups than not.

4. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I would be very interested in this answer as well. I have the AEBS + external drive combo and to my understanding time machine can now backup to these, but I can't even get time machine to see this as an available drive so I can use it from this point forward. Not to mention that I'd like to move my current backup history there first and continue from that point forward. Any thoughts?

5. ambys macrumors newbie

Anybody have an answer for this? I face the same issue and I'd really like to keep my backup history.