Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmartine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
I have snow leopard. I have a 1TB time machine set up. After all I just realize that it is too big for what I actually need. I think half of that would be more than enough. I have another 500GB hard drive. I was wondering how can I move my time machine files from a Bigger hard drive to a smaller hard drive. All discussions, post and forums explain how to do it from smaller to a bigger hard drive using Disk utility. But that did not work for me, there is a error saying that the source is bigger than the destination. Does anybody know how can do this? basically using the apple computer and trying to avoid 3rd party software....thanks a lot

PS, The back-up file inside the 1 TB hard drive is much less than 500 GB.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I have snow leopard. I have a 1TB time machine set up. After all I just realize that it is too big for what I actually need. I think half of that would be more than enough. I have another 500GB hard drive. I was wondering how can I move my time machine files from a Bigger hard drive to a smaller hard drive. All discussions, post and forums explain how to do it from smaller to a bigger hard drive using Disk utility. But that did not work for me, there is a error saying that the source is bigger than the destination. Does anybody know how can do this? basically using the apple computer and trying to avoid 3rd party software....thanks a lot

Is the sparsebundle file larger than the destination? You may have to reduce the backup size first.

Another question: Why not just start over with the backup? Keep the old one for a couple of weeks before reformating the 1TB drive just in case. But unless you need to be able to go back to how things were months ago, I personally see little use for having a year-old backup. I really want just the most recent (or perhaps the few most recent).

hmartine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Is the sparsebundle file larger than the destination? You may have to reduce the backup size first.

Another question: Why not just start over with the backup? Keep the old one for a couple of weeks before reformating the 1TB drive just in case. But unless you need to be able to go back to how things were months ago, I personally see little use for having a year-old backup. I really want just the most recent (or perhaps the few most recent).

The back-up file inside the 1 TB hard drive is much less than 500 GB. But when I use Disk utility to "clone" the hard drive is when the error appears. am I doing something wrong, or it is simply not the right method?
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.