Move time machine from local to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bryantlc, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bryantlc macrumors member

I currently have my 1TB External Hard Drive for Time Machine hooked up locally to my iMac. I was thinking of freeing up a USB port by connecting it to my Apple Airport Extreme. When I searched about this I saw posts from a year or so ago that Time Machine would have to start over since it archives differently connected to Airport Extreme vs locally. Is this accurate? Should I just by a USB hub to give myself more ports or hook up the extra external drive for additional memory(like iTunes and iPhoto overflow) to the Airport Extreme?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Anyone have any info on this? I was also going to move my external to Airport to allow my wife to also back up her laptop on our network.

I suppose losing the backup history wouldn't matter to me, but it would be nice if I could just pick up everything where I left off. Plus, it would certainly save time as that first backup is always the longest. ;)

So...BUMP

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Same question.......and a bump

and....BUMP.....again

I also have this exact same question. I just picked up an AEBS and moved my external from my macbook to the usb port on the AEBS and tried setting up time machine again. I thought all was well until it started a backup and said it was going to transfer 32GB of data.

Does anyone know how (if) you can do this?