Move Time Machine Location?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Schrockinator, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Schrockinator macrumors newbie

Schrockinator

I have a new Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard.

Please Note: I do not want to change external hard drives, but I want to change the LOCATION of my external and HOW the external is connected to my Macbook.

I have been running Time Machine, backing up to my WD 1TB Passport external drive via USB cable. I would like to lose the "umbilical cord" and connect wirelessly to the external via my (newest model) Airport Extreme base station. I want to do this without losing my previous backups.
    When I connect via the AE, TimeMachine gives me the choice to backup to this drive but it starts from scratch, making a whole new backup.
    When I click to "Enter Time Machine" it gives me the choice to "use previous disk" and when I click to "use selected disk" as in my screenshot, it allows me to peruse the old backups, I just am not able to continue backing up to that backup.
    I would like to backup via the AE, but then also have the choice to remove it and connect directly via USB on occasion and continue the same Time Machine.

Is there any way to do this, or is this wishful thinking?

[​IMG]

2. KiwiGoneDutch macrumors newbie

I want to do the same thing.
    -ExternalHD WD 1.5TB usb-drive, connected to an iMac.
    -Bought a Time Capsule(4G)
    -(irrelevant info; Have my MacBook Pro backup to the Time Capsule)

It would be cleaner to have the ExternalHD hidden together with the Time Capsule.
    So in my situation I'ld like to have the iMac change it's current Time-Machine location to the Time Capsule location.

But how can safely achieve this?

my assumptions (emphasis on assumption) are to;
    *turn off Time Machine during the following.
    *create a file with the computer's name, add the extension .sparsebundle
    *place the "Backups.backupdb" file within the above file.
    *edit the location in the "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist"
    Code:
    afp://Time Capsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Time Capsule/<name.sparsebundle>