Move Time Machine to new drive - FYI

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cardsdoc, Nov 28, 2007.

1. cardsdoc macrumors regular

There have been a few threads about how to move a time machine backup to a new disk and maintain the existing backups. Some have done this with carbon copy cloner.
    This also works with the built in disk utility in Leopard. I turned off time machine first. Then I booted with the Leopard install DVD and ran disk utility. I partitioned the new disk and gave it the same name as the old time machine drive (not sure if that's necessary). I then used the restore function to clone the old time machine disk to the new one. I rebooted, turned time machine back on and it picked up where it left off. The first backup with the new drive took a little longer than expected considering nothing had really changed but all the prior backup data is intact as if nothing had changed.

2. gltch486 macrumors newbie

Would this work with a Time Capsule?

I have a 300GB external packed with data, and just got a 1TB TC.

Would this technique work on a TC - wired or wireless network connection?

3. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

BUMP!

Hey, I'm interested in doing exactly this!

- Is there any reason as to why the two drives need to be named the same thing? It's just an identifier, the guts of the backup are still on the disk

- I'm moving form a 200 GB drive to a time capsule, and I'm wondering if there's a way to do this, other than by ripping the drive out of the TC, sticking it in some enclosure, then trying the method above.

Seems like an OK idea, especially since I'm thinking of ripping out the 500 GB drive from my cheaper TC and trying a 1 TB drive, per http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/