All iPads Move to Chrome browser stop Air crashing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeRito, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Would such a move away from Safari stop the iPad Air crashing problems? Pro's & con's?

2. seble macrumors 6502a

From reading on here apparently chrome is just as crashy on iOS7. I know from when running iOS5 on my iPad with Chrome it never really had too many problems and it could operate about 20 tabs just fine, crashing rarely, not sure what the case is, but from here I think it's pretty crashy with Chrome too!

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Sometimes Chrome crashes, doesn't seem as often as Safari. My main issue with Chrome on my iPad is sometimes scrolling can be jittery and laggy which wasn't as often on Safari.

I like Chrome for syncing my browsing links and visited sites between my Mac, iPad and Android devices.

4. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I have the Mercury browser and it does not crash nearly as much as Safari. I also don't have the constant tab reloads that Safari has.

5. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

For me Chrome, Mercury and Atomic Web seem to be more stable than Safari. That is remarkable as they are all running on top of Safari. My guess and the keyword is guess is that Apple decided reloading tabs on Safari was a way to release memory. The devs on the other browsers evidently didn't set those priorities the same.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

That is misinformation. Stop spreading it. Chrome is running a webView which is different than Safari. The javascripnengine is much slower in webViews and they have their own set of issues.

7. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

To be specific: Apple mandates that any third-party Web browser sold in the App Store must use the stock WebKit rendering and JavaScript engines.

They are all WebKit browsers. And not just different WebKit browsers like Chrome and Safari on the desktop, either, but complete mobile Safari clones. Third-party iOS-based Web browsers are all Safari wearing different clothes. Some of them have totally different syncing features, bookmark mechanisms, on-screen keyboards, and even user interfaces. But when it comes to a Web browser's primary function of rendering Web pages, they are all just re-spins of Apple's stock, default mobile Safari. While Apple demands that third-party browsers use the stock engines, Safari has newer JavaScript engine, while the rest are left with Safari's old JS engine.

8. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

FYI Safari on beta 2 is way more stable and rarely crashes on me. When the next version of IOS comes out, it should solve a lot of these crash problems.

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Chrome crashes more than Safari did for me. I have always been a web browser over apps kind of guy but with the retina mini I see myself leaning towards apps over visiting websites. It is so frustrating to be reading something, swap to another tab for reference, come back and crash.

I wish Apple would get it together and put a moderate amount of RAM in these devices instead of the minimum and trying to build all of their applications around that.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Chrome is a free download, just try it for yourself.

11. JoeRito thread starter macrumors 6502

JoeRito

I've downloaded both Chrome and Mercury, and both seem pretty nice to me. I don't see as many issues with either, but did get Chrome to crash once.

Before investing time in a browser switch, i.e. Bookmarks, passwords, etc, I thought I'd get some input from the community here on MR.

Do folks feel the password storage on non Safari browsers is secure?

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

What kind of issues do you have with Safari? Maybe I'm just a light user because I rarely see it crash. Maybe once or twice a week. I just restart and it pretty much goes back to where it was. I imagine it will improve in 7.1.

13. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Chrome crashes just as often as Safari, in my experience. I have Atomic Web, and I am not certain why I don't use it more. I guess I prefer UI on Safari/Chrome, but I am going to give it a go.

14. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

I'm using Chrome almost exclusively and have experienced crashes. Not a lot but some.

15. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

maybe a full reset? mine does not crash I use Safari

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11648184/uiwebview-and-safari-comparison

They aren't the same. Again stop spreading misinformation. If Chrome and Safari were the same there would be no reason to use Chrome. Safari uses nitro Javascript engine. Chrome on iOS does not. That's why Safari is faster on iOS devices vs other browsers using stock webkit.

17. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Obviously reading comprehension is not one of you skill sets. Try again.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Clearly. However, you said in one sentence Chrome and Safari on iOS are the same thing then in the next sentence said they are different...as in the same Javascript engine that came out ages ago.

19. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Does this also apply to Opera?

20. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I think iOS Chrome is built on the same engine as Safari due to Apple app restrictions so I don't think it will crash less. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

21. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

No turbo scripting in Chrome, unless you install the tweak after jailbreaking. Safari should load faster than any other web browser on an iOS device.

Personally, I use both Chrome and Safari and don't have an issue with either. When I was jailbroken, both browsers crashed constantly, regardless of what I was doing. After restoring back to stock, neither has crashed, but I don't go over 3 to 4 tabs in use at once either.

22. DeathTheKid macrumors member

DeathTheKid

You Might Want To Try Puffin

i have never had Puffin crash on me. I tried yesterday to get it crash by opening 20 tabs of the theverge.com on my iPhone 5 and the damn thing was still responsive, no crashes, and no reloading.

I think the main difference from other browsers on IOS is they render content partially on their servers then stream it to you instead of just being a wrapper around the WebView. That is why it is supposed to be 5X faster than Safari.

23. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I tried them all before returning the Air.

Safari, Chrome, Atomic, Puffin, Perfect, Mercury, Dolphin, Apollo and iCab browser.

They all crashed as consistently as each other....