All iPads Move to Chrome browser stop Air crashing?

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Would such a move away from Safari stop the iPad Air crashing problems? Pro's & con's?
From reading on here apparently chrome is just as crashy on iOS7. I know from when running iOS5 on my iPad with Chrome it never really had too many problems and it could operate about 20 tabs just fine, crashing rarely, not sure what the case is, but from here I think it's pretty crashy with Chrome too!

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
From reading on here apparently chrome is just as crashy on iOS7. I know from when running iOS5 on my iPad with Chrome it never really had too many problems and it could operate about 20 tabs just fine, crashing rarely, not sure what the case is, but from here I think it's pretty crashy with Chrome too!
Sometimes Chrome crashes, doesn't seem as often as Safari. My main issue with Chrome on my iPad is sometimes scrolling can be jittery and laggy which wasn't as often on Safari.

I like Chrome for syncing my browsing links and visited sites between my Mac, iPad and Android devices.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
I have the Mercury browser and it does not crash nearly as much as Safari. I also don't have the constant tab reloads that Safari has.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
For me Chrome, Mercury and Atomic Web seem to be more stable than Safari. That is remarkable as they are all running on top of Safari. My guess and the keyword is guess is that Apple decided reloading tabs on Safari was a way to release memory. The devs on the other browsers evidently didn't set those priorities the same.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
For me Chrome, Mercury and Atomic Web seem to be more stable than Safari. That is remarkable as they are all running on top of Safari. My guess and the keyword is guess is that Apple decided reloading tabs on Safari was a way to release memory. The devs on the other browsers evidently didn't set those priorities the same.
That is misinformation. Stop spreading it. Chrome is running a webView which is different than Safari. The javascripnengine is much slower in webViews and they have their own set of issues.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
That is misinformation. Stop spreading it. Chrome is running a webView which is different than Safari. The javascripnengine is much slower in webViews and they have their own set of issues.
To be specific: Apple mandates that any third-party Web browser sold in the App Store must use the stock WebKit rendering and JavaScript engines.

They are all WebKit browsers. And not just different WebKit browsers like Chrome and Safari on the desktop, either, but complete mobile Safari clones. Third-party iOS-based Web browsers are all Safari wearing different clothes. Some of them have totally different syncing features, bookmark mechanisms, on-screen keyboards, and even user interfaces. But when it comes to a Web browser's primary function of rendering Web pages, they are all just re-spins of Apple's stock, default mobile Safari. While Apple demands that third-party browsers use the stock engines, Safari has newer JavaScript engine, while the rest are left with Safari's old JS engine.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
FYI Safari on beta 2 is way more stable and rarely crashes on me. When the next version of IOS comes out, it should solve a lot of these crash problems.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Chrome crashes more than Safari did for me. I have always been a web browser over apps kind of guy but with the retina mini I see myself leaning towards apps over visiting websites. It is so frustrating to be reading something, swap to another tab for reference, come back and crash.

I wish Apple would get it together and put a moderate amount of RAM in these devices instead of the minimum and trying to build all of their applications around that.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Chrome is a free download, just try it for yourself.
I've downloaded both Chrome and Mercury, and both seem pretty nice to me. I don't see as many issues with either, but did get Chrome to crash once.

Before investing time in a browser switch, i.e. Bookmarks, passwords, etc, I thought I'd get some input from the community here on MR.

Do folks feel the password storage on non Safari browsers is secure?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
What kind of issues do you have with Safari? Maybe I'm just a light user because I rarely see it crash. Maybe once or twice a week. I just restart and it pretty much goes back to where it was. I imagine it will improve in 7.1.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Chrome crashes just as often as Safari, in my experience. I have Atomic Web, and I am not certain why I don't use it more. I guess I prefer UI on Safari/Chrome, but I am going to give it a go.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
To be specific: Apple mandates that any third-party Web browser sold in the App Store must use the stock WebKit rendering and JavaScript engines.

They are all WebKit browsers. And not just different WebKit browsers like Chrome and Safari on the desktop, either, but complete mobile Safari clones. Third-party iOS-based Web browsers are all Safari wearing different clothes. Some of them have totally different syncing features, bookmark mechanisms, on-screen keyboards, and even user interfaces. But when it comes to a Web browser's primary function of rendering Web pages, they are all just re-spins of Apple's stock, default mobile Safari. While Apple demands that third-party browsers use the stock engines, Safari has newer JavaScript engine, while the rest are left with Safari's old JS engine.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11648184/uiwebview-and-safari-comparison

They aren't the same. Again stop spreading misinformation. If Chrome and Safari were the same there would be no reason to use Chrome. Safari uses nitro Javascript engine. Chrome on iOS does not. That's why Safari is faster on iOS devices vs other browsers using stock webkit.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Obviously reading comprehension is not one of you skill sets. Try again.
Clearly. However, you said in one sentence Chrome and Safari on iOS are the same thing then in the next sentence said they are different...as in the same Javascript engine that came out ages ago.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65832
Jun 20, 2010

Does this also apply to Opera?

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I think iOS Chrome is built on the same engine as Safari due to Apple app restrictions so I don't think it will crash less. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I think iOS Chrome is built on the same engine as Safari due to Apple app restrictions so I don't think it will crash less. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.
No turbo scripting in Chrome, unless you install the tweak after jailbreaking. Safari should load faster than any other web browser on an iOS device.

Personally, I use both Chrome and Safari and don't have an issue with either. When I was jailbroken, both browsers crashed constantly, regardless of what I was doing. After restoring back to stock, neither has crashed, but I don't go over 3 to 4 tabs in use at once either.

DeathTheKid

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2013
You Might Want To Try Puffin

i have never had Puffin crash on me. I tried yesterday to get it crash by opening 20 tabs of the theverge.com on my iPhone 5 and the damn thing was still responsive, no crashes, and no reloading.

I think the main difference from other browsers on IOS is they render content partially on their servers then stream it to you instead of just being a wrapper around the WebView. That is why it is supposed to be 5X faster than Safari.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I tried them all before returning the Air.

Safari, Chrome, Atomic, Puffin, Perfect, Mercury, Dolphin, Apollo and iCab browser.

They all crashed as consistently as each other....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.