Move to Laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mmzplanet, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I currently have a Late 2007 iMac. I was planning on getting a Macbook or MBP here in January. The debate is whether or not I should just go ahead and sell my iMac and go 100% to the MacBook. I have an iTunes library that is around 40-50GB, iPhoto is about 6GB, and iMovie has about 5 GB with it. I only do some light video editing with iMovie and lightly use Garageband. Other than that I will play some games here and there in OS X. I boot into XP only for the purpose of using FS2004, maybe FSX.

I have no problems using any of this stuff on a laptop and will probably get a monitor for the desk when I want screen space to sit and work on something.

Right now I have a new Airport Base Station. Will I be able to run all of my drives and printer through the base station and easily get to an itunes library and use Time Machine for both laptops in the house?

Can this move be successful? Will the base station be able to handle 2-3 external drives without too many problems? Will a maxed MacBook be fine or should I look at a MBP.

Any advice would be great.

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have the AirPort Extreme. Get a powered USB hub. Buy one that actually has a connection that powers via an electrical outlet. I run everything that way and as long as the power stays flowing to the hub, it all runs smoothly. When the power cable gets unplugged, it's not fun trying to figure out why it's not going fast and everything seems to freeze that is connected through those HDs.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Also, I have completely removed myself from a desktop computer. And, just today I made a big step towards a one computer system...

It is really great in theory, but we will see how it works out. I like being on the couch or in bed and writing. Being able to go anywhere is great. And the power of these Apple Notebooks is really amazing. I really don't feel like I am working on a notebook when it comes to speed and ability to do everything.

Especially nice is the wireless connectivity to HDs and most importantly PRINTERS! I used to share my printer from a desktop and print to it. Always a pain to setup. With the AirPort Extreme it is like ONE CLICK AMAZING!

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I tried this move a while ago, and found myself going back to a desktop PC about 5-6 months later. I am an avid gamer, so gaming on just a MBP wasn't cutting it. I also like the expandability and extra power that you can have with a desktop. My self-built PC has been great so far, but I miss using OSX. I am planning on getting a Mac Pro in a few months to be my main computer. Hopefully this will fill all of my needs, and I'll still have my MBP if i need the portability, and my PC for non-OSX games.

My primary home-computer usage is gaming, but I also do a lot of work in Aperture (photography), and hope to get a nice firewire audio interface and Logic in the future to record stuff on guitar. The next update of the Mac Pro should last me for years and years for those tasks. :)