Move up eligibility by upgrading phone plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thelatinist, Jun 11, 2010.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I purchased an iPhone in August 2009, and currently have an upgrade eligibility of 1/15/2011 (17 months after purchase). I missed the instant-upgrade eligibility cutoff by two weeks. I am wondering, however, if increasing my monthly fee would result in an immediate upgrade. Currently the monthly bill for my line is $90 ($60/mo 700 minute family plan and $30/mo unlimited data). If I were to add, say, Messaging 1500 to my plan, that would put my monthly plan at $105. This should move my eligibility up to 12 months after purchase, putting me in the instant eligibility window.

Anyone have any idea whether this will work? Do such eligibility changes take effect immediately? After the first billing period? Or after some other period of time?

2. hushmartin macrumors 6502

OH my gosh, I have been thinking the same thing. I just wonder how long I would have to pay the extra costs, and if it is based on cost BEFORE your FAN discount or not. I would totally do this if it was only like an extra 30 bucks or so on my bill-- which would be more than 100 before the FAN discount. But I wouldn't do it for more than maybe 3 months.

I was just looking at my acct and thinking about it but then I decided not to do it because I was paranoid about losing unlimited data.

3. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

I really want to know if anyone has ever made such an upgrade and noticed their eligibility change because of it.