move USB drive into sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by catroom, Jan 8, 2012.

1. catroom macrumors newbie

Can someone help?

I know how to move my hard disk and any other partition into the sidebar from Devices to Favorites.

I am trying to do the same thing with my USB drives (and my bootcamp windows partition, although that is not important). But when I try to add a USB drive to Favorites from the desktop or Devices, it merely disappears. I’ve tried holding down the command key and various other combinations but no luck. Am I doing it wrong or is it impossible?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Show these items in the Sidebar

Or simply drag any file, folder or drive to the sidebar to create an alias. Command-drag it off to get rid of it.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. catroom, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

catroom thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I’ve done that and my USB drive appears in the Devices section. And when I drag it from from the Devices section (or the Desktop) to the Favourites section, it disappears. I repeat, can anyone suggest what I’m doing wrong or can’t it be done?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's not how it's designed to work. It's a device, so it shows in the Devices section. If you want it in the Favorites section, create an alias to the drive, then place that alias in the Favorites section of the sidebar. Just note that it won't work without it connected (of course).

jW

5. catroom thread starter macrumors newbie

Mal, that doesn’t work for me. I can drag aliases of partitions (which appear in the Devices section) to the Favorites section and it works but I cannot drag aliases of USB drives in the same way. They just disappear.

6. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

you have lion dont you. haha

it wont stay in there ive tried everything. as soon as whatever you dragged into your favorites in disconnected the folder disappears.