Move Users directory to another partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akadmon, Jan 4, 2011.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

Is it possible to have a working Users directory on a volume other than the startup volume?

I just bought an SSD for my Mac Pro that I intend to use as my OSX boot drive. Because it's much smaller than my current HDD startup volume, I want to only keep system files and apps on it. To do this I will install a fresh copy of Leopard on the SSD and then migrate my apps to it. Can I tell OSX to place the Users folder on another volume? My hope is to copy the Users directory from the current startup volume to this new location (after first creating user accounts with the same exact names/short names). Will this work? It sure would be great if I could just point to the old directory, but somehow I don't think that's possible.

2. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Here I am answering my own question (again).

The answer is yes. I created a user account on my ssd with the exact same name (short & long) as the existing account on my old system volume, then opened the lock in the lower right, right-clicked on the icon representing the newly created account, and pointed to the the existing user directory (on the old system volume) under Home directory.