Move vs exersize

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mrbg07546, Jun 14, 2015.

1. mrbg07546 macrumors newbie

what is the difference, how do they work?

My understanding is as follows

Move is number of steps with low heart rate.

Exercise is number of steps with high heart rate?

Any ideas?

2. Julien, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Move is all Active Calories you burn above your Basel Metabolic Rate (aka: Resting Calories).

Exercise is activity time equal to a 'brisk walk' (fast walk) or higher intensity.

3. mrbg07546 thread starter macrumors newbie

So exersize does not use Hr data? It's how fast sequences of steps are?

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It DOES use your HR. As you increase your intensity your HR increases.

There is no way to determine intensity just by "...how fast sequences of steps are". You could be ridding a bike or walking/running up a grade, just to name a couple.

5. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

This is how it was explained to me: All 3 rings require some movement for the most part, even the Stand ring. The Stand ring requires that you stand up and sort of move around for a minute every hour...it is not perfect, you sometimes can get credit for standing and not walking around, but for the most part it requires that you stand up and walk around or stretch for a minute. The Move ring requires that you move around a bit more and raise your heart rate somewhat. This would be good for most leisure or mild exercise activity. As far as the Exercise ring, think of it as minutes you maintain your heart rate at a certain elevated level. If your heart rate drops below that elevated level while you are exercising, you will still get Move credits.

I go on 2 walks everyday. The first walk is a 35 minute walk with a senior citizen and I get no exercise credit (or sometimes 1 or 2 minutes of credit) for it even though I enter it in the workout app, but it does give me Move credit. Later in the day, I go on a 70 minute very brisk walk and I usually get about 60 to 65 minutes of Exercise credit from that to complete my exercise ring.