Move windows to mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by blah07b, Feb 15, 2011.

1. blah07b macrumors newbie

I finally switched from my PPC mac to a new(ish) MacBook Pro, but I also have an old Dell with XP I use for the odd windows-only program.

What I'd like to know is if/how I can copy the entire OS onto the Macbook to use with Boot Camp for convenience, without a windows install CD (I've never had one)

I have some ethernet cables and a 2TB USB external to use to transfer it.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Nope. Even if it boots, Windows will notice the hardware change and activation will fail. Also, you won't have the proper drivers for chipset, display, etc.

Windows installs are not as portable as OS X installs.

3. blah07b thread starter macrumors newbie

So I suppose booting from an external won't work either then?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No. Windows is designed not to want to boot from an external.

You can certainly use VMWare Converter or Parallels Transporter to move a physical machine over to a VM.

B

5. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

Unfortunately not. Windows will not run because USB is not a fast enough connection to boot from while any flavor of Linux and if I am not mistaken, OSX will also boot from USB. I haven't had a chance to try it with a USB 3.0 so I can't say for sure on all USB.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The main problem is that Windows unloads one set of USB drivers and replaces itvwith another during boot. For XP there is a workaround that changes this behavior, but Inhave not seen anything similar for Vista or 7.

B

7. blah07b thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks!

It's just going to be cheaper and easier to get an XP disc for $2 off of ebay.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good luck with that.

I just took a quick look at some recently completed listings and for < $50 you generally will only get a disc, with no COA or Product Key which seems expensive for a coaster.

More often than not it seems to be going for closer to $75-$100 which you could get W7 for.

B