Moved a kernel cache file in error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alex N, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Alex N macrumors newbie

I'm new to my macbook (running OSX Tiger) and trigger happily learning new keyboard shortcuts I didn't note where I dragged and dropped a file from. The file is called kernelcache.D9139EBC and is now sat on my desktop feeling like a refugee.

I would appreciate guidance on whether this was an important file and if so where to put it back to. I must confess in Windows I'd just delete it and wait for the consequences but hey, that's what I'm getting away from.

Many thanks.
    Alex

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In your System's Library there's a folder named Caches. Within this folder is another called com.apple.kernelcaches. The file probably came from there. I don't reckon you have to put it back though. Just restart and you'll be right; it's only a cache.

Having said that, please don't move (or rename) any more system files! :D

3. Alex N thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to Mad jew - you were right and I found original still there (which strangely didn't show up when I searched for it as I tried that first and it only showed the copy on my desktop).

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Spotlight skips those files on purpose, so it doesn't get bogged down and so you don't get inundated with system files whenever you're searching for something similar. :)